Fearless

Well Known Member
Is it acceptable to remove some of the E-614-020 counterweight so that it will fit in the R912 counterbalance rib and R913 counterbalance skin better?The forward bolt is not being allowed to seat properly due to the curvature on the rib and skin and the forward rivets. The rivets are set within spec gauge wise.

What is the minimum weight for the counterweight to be considered within spec on the rudder?

Mike--Actually you probably won't need to remove any lead, though I did face the same issue. The lead is very malleable--just squeeze it or hammer it slightly wherever there is an interference issue. I think this should take care of the problem. Hope this helps.

Thanks Steve but too late. I took the grind route last night instead of the hammer route and now I've gotten myself concerned. So if anyone knows what is acceptable I would appreciate it. I really don't want to order a small part such as the weight if I really don't need to. Those $4 dollar handling charges are starting to add up.

Unless you really took a lot off, like 20% or more, I wouldn't be too concerned. Even if you did, you could remelt some lead and tin it back on in an unoffending place.

Roberta

robertahegy said:
Unless you really took a lot off, like 20% or more, I wouldn't be too concerned. Even if you did, you could remelt some lead and tin it back on in an unoffending place.

Roberta

I agree Mike--If you just notched out a couple small areas I wouldn't worry too much about it. I think I remember doing that on one or two rivets before I realized I could just smash the lead in.

Thanks Roberta,

I only tried to round the forward edges as well as take some off the sides to clear the rivets. It wouldn't be anywhere near 20% maybe 1 or 2 % at the most.

Just wanted to be sure before I put the top R-903 tip rib in place.

I'll consider the matter closed unless someone else can give reason not to.

A little less heavy metal

Same problem for me. Did anybody ever get a disposition from Vans on this? I'll try them tomorrow if I remember. Thanks and happy dad's day for those so lucky.

Craig

Same problem for me. Did anybody ever get a disposition from Vans on this? I'll try them tomorrow if I remember. Thanks and happy dad's day for those so lucky.

Craig
Dispostion re: what, Craig? Have you already cut material off? If not, just pound the weight into whatever shape is necessary to make it fit in the rib. There really is no reason to cut any off. FWIW, you'll be doing the exact same thing on the elevator tips much later in the build.

Glad to see another 9/9A here in the PNW! Good luck.

ctr balance

Vans says grind. Smashing is probably ok also. My concern was about the weight of the weight. Vans says it's not a problem. Hope that helps others.