BruceMe

Well Known Member
The swap I did on the rudder didn't come with the rudder counter balance lead. This is the first generation smaller counter-balanced RV-7 QB rudder.

Is this the right part?

E-614-020

Thanks!

[MODERATOR: This probably belongs in the RV-6 section, sorry]

Last edited:
The swap I did on the rudder didn't come with the rudder counter balance lead. This is the first generation smaller counter-balanced RV-7 QB rudder.

Is this the right part?

E-614-020

Thanks!

[MODERATOR: This probably belongs in the RV-6 section, sorry]

Yes that is the correct part number.

My 19-year old RV-6 does not have the counterbalanced rudder that the RV-8(A) does. Yes some of the late RV-6(A)s were shipped with RV-8 Vertical and Rudder. The early RV-7(A) tail kits shipped with RV-8(A) rudders before they were changed to a larger rudder.

I am answering your post because I am now building an RV-8, built an RV-6, and am familiar with the part number you are asking about and how it is used on my RV-8.

The Elevator weight that you list above E-614-020 is the same weight used in the RV-8(A), -9(A), and -14(A) rudder. The RV-8(A) plans / manual that I have does not have you balancing the rudder to 100% but just adding the above weight. IMHO, one would need to double the weight to get close to a 100% balance. I am one that likes to build an airplane as light as possible and would be reluctant to double the rudder counterbalance weight to get 100% balance on a part that the designer does not require to be 100% balanced.

If I understand your question, you only need to add the weight to the rudder and no need to balance it with the addition or subtraction of weight. I would say that we are using a counterweighted rudder and not a balanced rudder.