bret

Well Known Member
Moving right along on the EMP kit and messed up the trailing edge, could possible work but I do not want to take a chance of in flight failure, say...... spin recovery. what kind of mistakes have others here made that I should be cautious about?

Moving right along on the EMP kit and messed up the trailing edge, could possible work but I do not want to take a chance of in flight failure, say...... spin recovery. what kind of mistakes have others here made that I should be cautious about?

I have a hard time believing you screwed it up bad enough to risk an in-flight failure, but hard to say without pics. I think most screwups on this are either purely cosmetic or possibly cause your bird to fly crooked.

I stressed out about this task before I did it, but it really turned out to be a non-event for me. Just take your time, work carefully and think it out before starting. This is what I did (gatherered from perusing many posts on here...this is not the only way to be successful though):

1. Alternate shop heads every other one
2. Use pro-seal before riveting
3. Follow Van's directions carefully when riveting

No problems, my edge was within the specs that Van's calls out (cant remember, +/- 0.050"??) but it also wasnt straight as an arrow...so not perfect but you can only see a slight wave in it if you sight directly down the trailing edge which not many people will ever do.

Good luck

Step one. - Go look at a Cessna Rudder
Step two - relax as it won't be any worse than what you saw in step one.

No realy, this is bad, so I had it all clecod down with proseal to a 1"X3" 1/4 wall alluminum box 6 feet long, removed, placed every other rivet clecoed back down inbetween rivets, ( do you see where I am going with this )started with backrivet set, setting rivets half way down, go back to fully set and was not getting my width, go to remove and I magicly sheered the the rivet heads and pushed them into the holes I drilled into the box alluminum, ruined the skin. total nut head mistake, only 150.00 for new skins and stiffners but G wiz.

No realy, this is bad, so I had it all clecod down with proseal to a 1"X3" 1/4 wall alluminum box 6 feet long, removed, placed every other rivet clecoed back down inbetween rivets, ( do you see where I am going with this )started with backrivet set, setting rivets half way down, go back to fully set and was not getting my width, go to remove and I magicly sheered the the rivet heads and pushed them into the holes I drilled into the box alluminum, ruined the skin. total nut head mistake, only 150.00 for new skins and stiffners but G wiz.

hmm, I stand corrected... ;) shoot, we've all done bonehead things, some just dont admit it, its part of the fun!

...shoot, we've all done bonehead things, some just dont admit it, its part of the fun!

I'll second that! Placing your first order from "the list" is a huge milestone:eek:

On your second rudder, follow the instructions exactly...it works.

Dont give up, we all have done something that needs replacement or re- work.
Is it possible for you to get some help when you are ready to do it again ?
Are you in a local EAA group ?

Yep, rework. Get used to it. Unless it's your second or third plane you'll do plenty.

I just screwed up the ribs the other day and had to orde new ones for my VS.....I expect more screw ups...just keep moving foward and take it easy!

The HS and the VS came out real nice, and the rudder WAS going to be flawless, just got in a hurry and was working faster than my brain could keep up. I just joined EAA but there is nothing near me, 2 Hr south of Reno.

i'm waiting for a whole vert stab. after months of looking at my stab, i finally decided to try to repair the twist it had. guess what i didnt fix it and when putting it back together enlarged the holes and made things worse. its gonna happen, get used to it, i can probably build another -4 with all the parts ive replaced. take your time and be gentle. i think i used a little to much pressure on the skin while aligning/riveting the skin. other than that things are simple. oh make sure you double check your work right away. i found my mistake after 3 years and after it was bolted on the tail.

One more here.
I messed up the rib that the rudder horn riveted to on the rv-10 rudder. I ordered and received my rib yesterday. I matched drill all parts again but one side of the skin has AN4 flush rivets rather than AN3. I finished my trailing edge with pro seal now it is resting for two days.
Directions ask for laying down the rib on a flat surface before drilling. I fallowed that direction second time around:rolleyes: