Ted Farmin

Well Known Member
Could someone please tell me the full travel of the rudder cable horn with the cable attached to the rudder. I have a prosthetic leg and have to have a lever to operated the rudder with a motorcycle clutch lever on the handle for the brake. I did this in our RV-4 and it works well for me.

Ted Farmin
CFI sel,ses,gl,private helo
RV-4 flying 4.5yrs 630hobbs
120293 wings, emp. done

Ted,
Ill look into it next time at the Hangar. I assume your need the cable travel distance from center to the stop.

Gary Eldridge

Hi Ted

I had a student with his left leg amputated above the knee and he now flies his modified -7A all over the country. He welded arms to the top of the rudder bars, that attach to a bellcrank, so the when he pulls the right pedal toward him, the left pedal is depressed, as shown by this photo:

bellcrank.jpg

He added a stirrup to the right pedal to accomplish this:

Stirrup.jpg

He mounted his throttle on the far left of the dash so that he could also use differential brakes, mounted on two levers in the center, so he can also steer with the brakes in his right hand:

handbrakes.jpg

I'm not sure how the -12 pedal geometry is designed but these pictures should give you an alternate idea. His left ankle doesn't pivot, so he mounted a small wheel to two arms screwed into his Nike's, so that it can roll back 'n forth as the left pedal moves.

We practised taxiing using only his right (good) leg by pulling it back, we turned left and pressing, turned right, over and over until he became pretty adept at it. That, and the dual handbrake setup did the trick. He's been to Yellowstone and Massachusetts from his base in Barnwell, S.C. and many other places without any landing/groundlooping incidents after the FAA issued his SODA in a Cherokee 140.

If you'd like either call or PM me if you'd like to speak/communicate with him.

Best,