Gregmarlow

Well Known Member
AFTER riveting the aft fuselage, I got around to checking Drawing 28 for notes, and saw the one about drilling the rudder cable clamp hole to #19 and dimpling for a #8 screw BEFORE riveting.

Well, I drilled them no problem, anyone have any ideas on how I can dimple those guys?

Anyone have a #8 pop rivet dimpler or something else that might work?

Thanks in advance,

Greg Marlow
RV-9A Fuselage
Kingsport, TN

I made my own out of 2 pieces of stainless. Made a male and female die and tapped the female one.

Dimple

Get a couple of pieces of wood blocks. Drill a hole the shaft size of the dimple dies and insert the dies into the wood blocks. Have someone hold the female side inside against the skin at the hole. From the outside insert the male and hit the end of the block with a mallet.

You're done.

I did similar to previous posts except I made a female die only out of a piece of steel by drilling the countersunk (screw head) portion first with an oversize bit (maybe 1/2") then drilled for the shank or threaded portion of the screw in the center of the countersunk drilling. All of this was done in a drill press. This produced the female die then using a disposable screw as the male die placed through the skin into the hole in the female die like a bucking bar Use your rivet gun with a flush set to drive the screw into the die and you have a new dimpled skin. Warning...drill the female die hole a bit larger and deeper than the #19 for the screw so the die can be easily removed. You don't want to bottom it either or you now will produce a steel rivet with a steel block on the end. I have made these for various rivets, screws, etc in different styles to dimple in tight or blind places and they produce a fairly good dimple considering your options which are usually slim to none at this point. In fact, I have a supply of these of various sizes in a drawer so I can use them again if the need arises.

Dick DeCramer
RV6 N500DD flying
RV4 N149KC Flying
RV8 wing kit
Northfield, MN

Put the dimple dies in your C frame dimpler. Holding the C frame against your chest and neck, carefully position the C frame down over the longeron and side skin. A helper will be handy about this time to smack the arbor while you position the dies against the skin.
I did the same thing when dimpling the holes in the firewall for the slider canopy center brace.

You use the hammer and I'll hold the nail. When I nod my head, you hit it,
Steve

Gregmarlow said:
......anyone have any ideas on how I can dimple those guys?.........
Sure.

http://www.vansairforce.com/community/showthread.php?t=18391

By the way, if you later on decide to attach rudder cable fairings such as are available from Avery, I know of no easier way than to simply attach em with proseal.

oildoor03413cp6.jpg

I put a male die in the end of the shaft from my Avery C-Arm and then I drilled a hole for the female die at an other wise unused but convenient part of a suitable bucking bar. I held the bucking bar and die in pace while my long suffering but patient wife tapped the end of the shaft holding the male die. Quick and easy.
Jim Sharkey