bmurrish

Well Known Member
I am trying to rig my rudder cables and it calls for AN3-6 bolts to connect the cables that come off the pedal assembly to the cables going rearward. I can't find the AN3-6 bolts anywhere. I read over the packing list about 5 times and don't see it. I also went through all the bags and didn't see anything that resembled -6s. I'm wondering if anyone else has noticed this and if so, what did you use?

rudder pedal bolts?

I can not be specific for the RV 8, but on my RV 6A what they gave me were not "bolt" per say. They were a slotted screw with a hole for the castle nut cotter pin to go through. Do you have anything that might look like that?

What does the picture look like on plans? That could give you a clue too.

Good hunting.

It calls for an AN3-6 which is a bolt with a cotter pin hole. I'll probably just order them from Van's the next time I get something. Can't see paying the standard $4 handling fee for two 15 cent bolts. Just wish they were actually in the kit.

Bill -

If I recall correctly, I wasn't satisifed with the length of the -6's here, and ended up using -7's. I sometimes found that I used a slightly longer (or shorter) bolt than the plans specified in places, to meet "good aviation practice" (see AC43.13, or the Standard Mechancis Handbook), and just used what I needed from whatever bag was handy. Then when I got near the end, I ordered several of all the usual sizes to have what I needed on hand. Don't be surprised if you have to do this - it's impossible to make the kit "perfect".

Paul

Just use the correct length bolt

Ironflight said:
Bill -

If I recall correctly, I wasn't satisifed with the length of the -6's here, and ended up using -7's. I sometimes found that I used a slightly longer (or shorter) bolt than the plans specified in places, to meet "good aviation practice" (see AC43.13, or the Standard Mechancis Handbook), and just used what I needed from whatever bag was handy. Then when I got near the end, I ordered several of all the usual sizes to have what I needed on hand. Don't be surprised if you have to do this - it's impossible to make the kit "perfect".

Paul

Paul

I fully agree ....this is what I tell builders when I do a TC inspection.

Highest on my list of things I find are wrong length bolts. The plans don't always work in calling out the correct bolt length.... :rolleyes:

Just use the correct length bolt from any bag, and buy a few new ones and spares towards the end of the project.... :)

gil in Tucson

Last edited:
One of the most common things I find on Airworthiness inspections is "short bolts". You need at least one full thread showing outside the nylock.

I talked to Van's and they said to use AN3-6 bolts for the cable connections. They don't know why they aren't in the kit anymore and are sending me them.