sgfreeman

I need some help on how the rudder pedals/brake pedals should be oriented. The drawing shows the left hand rudder pedal vertical and the right angled forward until inline with the left at the bottom. It seems to me that one set should be angled forward and one aft so that they meet at the bottom in line with the center line between the two cross tubes. Also, what should the position of the brake pedals be to the rudder pedals. Should they be in line or angled back so you don't push the brakes while using rudder only? If angled back, how much? Any help or input on these questions would be very much appreciated.
Scott

The bottom toe bars of the rudder pedals should be aligned with the rudder centered - assuming that both your legs are the same length :)

I sat in the aircraft with the rudder, rudder stops and cables installed and used big zip ties to take the place of the steel link plates that join the cables to the pedals. I then adjusted the ties until I found a comfortable position that would give me full rudder travel to the stops and that centered the pedals with the rudder. Then I sized, cut, drilled and installed the steel tie plates. The rudder pedals were now adjusted for me.

Next I fitted the brake pedals and angled them so that they wouldn't operate the brakes with my toes on the rudder bars but would do so easily when I raised my feet up and pivoted them about the bars. I then marked the position and drilled the brake cylinder actuation horns on the brake pedals. Every thing was now set.

I also used some big PTFE fender type washers from McMaster-Carr between the pivot surfaces of the brake pedals and the rudder bars. The brake pedals seem to operate smoothly and the cylinder spring seems plenty strong enough to return the pedal. Mind you I haven't flown the aircraft yet!

As you mentioned, angle the brake pedals forward a bit to avoid unintentionally riding the brakes. Some people (myself included) have added a wrap of the appropriate I.D. rubber hose around the bottom tube on the rudder pedal. That gives your shoe a little more clearance from the brake pedal.

Even after doing these things, I occasionally drag the right brake on takeoff.