Berchmans

Well Known Member
Has anyone come up with a method for R & R of the rudder bottom cap? I have come to the conclusion that one must either install the rudder with the cap in place or remove the tail wheel stinger to install after installation of the rudder...obvious method is additional trimming of the cap but was just wondering if others had a more creative solution...

....have come to the conclusion that one must ....install the rudder with the cap in place .....
Contrary to recommended practice, I fitted the rudder bottom during the empennage kit phase, making it removable with screws and nutplates. I did not remove any significant material from the fiberglass bottom other than cutting and sanding it to fit. Other builders have reported conflict problems because they fitted the rudder bottom before installing the tailwheel.

I am not recommending you do what I successfully did because there are a few things to consider including potential manufacturing inconsistencies and/or individual builder variances that is a natural part of the assembly process. YMMV.

59tzbd.jpg

Who knows

I can't tell you how to do it, but I know that if you move the rudder left and right and tweak the cap here and there on one occasion it will magically slip into place.

I wish I knew the sequence....

Don

Rudder bottom cap

Rick, Like you have have fitted the rudder bottom cap with screw attachment so it is removable...And Don, I will fiddle with it some more...I was hoping to not have to put the rudder on with the cap in place because I have found it to be a major pain to get that bottom rudder bolt on with the cap in place...Actually removal of the tail wheel is not all that much work but I am lazy...

Because of crappy landings you will want to remove the fairing to repair it form the inside. Like the other guys with careful cuts know one will know except for the screws.

Cap Installed

I have been lax about getting back on this but what I did was remove the tailwheel stinger...not an real problem at all. The simple solution is usually the best solution...