Jackkclark

Well Known Member
When installing static tubing, Van's instructions say to use RTV silicone sealant.
I told the clerk what I needed and when I got it home I discovered that I had gotten Permatex Blue RTV Silicone Gasket Maker.
Is this the same thing...any reason it would not do the same job?

Sealant vs. "Gasket Maker"

When installing static tubing, Van's instructions say to use RTV silicone sealant.
I told the clerk what I needed and when I got it home I discovered that I had gotten Permatex Blue RTV Silicone Gasket Maker.
Is this the same thing...any reason it would not do the same job?

Jack,
My guess would be that it's probably OK, but recommend that you find a tube of "sealant" and compare the ingredients and suggested applications between the sealant and the gasket maker versions of RTV. Hard to imagine that the difference is significant. Also might consider checking the websites or calling the RTV manufacturers and talking them, ask for someone in "applications engineering" or similar function. Let them know what materials you are using it on also.
Please let us know what you find out!
Dave

slight differences by color...

The permetex rtv sealant and gasket maker are pretty much the same thing... the gasket maker comes in a variety of mixes that are primarily coded by color... here is a selection chart for reference http:///www.permatex.com/documents/GasketMakerSelector.pdf

I suspect that your use is filling void space around a tube to give some cushion and protection from vibration damage... the standard blue is fine.

Many posts previously. Do a forum search using RTV as the keyword. As I remember, I used an electronic grade RTV, which is OK with the skin.