mburch

Well Known Member
Patron
Note: If "RSS" doesn't mean anything to you, you may not get much out of this post! :)

Hi, I'm an RSS junkie. I don't like refreshing websites to check for updates, which is why I love Google Reader.

There are certain airplane-building projects on Kitlog - RV and otherwise - that I'm interested in following, but since Kitlog doesn't support RSS, I never remember to keep up. I finally got fed up with this state of affairs, and taught myself how to use Yahoo's free Pipes service so I could massage Kitlog's builder pages into RSS format. My solution is general enough for anyone else to use, so here's how to set it up:

1. First, go here: http://pipes.yahoo.com/mburch/kitlogrss
2. Enter the builder's Kitlog username in the box.
3. Click the "Run Pipe" button.
4. Click the "Get as RSS" link.
5. Copy and paste the resulting URL into your RSS reader of choice.

Voila, you are now following that user's Kitlog site as an RSS feed. Enjoy.

mcb

Thanks!

Matt, thanks for the research. I have been wondering how to follow certain builders--easy if they post every day-but more difficult if they don't. I copied their links into a spreadsheet and then launched from there. However, your method is going to work much better. Thanks!

Skyking902001
RV8
Emp finished
Waiting on wings & fuse

Thanks

I like it.

I have been using Page2Rss for pages that don't do RSS.

Many say RSS is dead. I say I love RSS.

And if you have an iPad and use google reader. The app reeder is awesome.

Thanks!

Now we can read updates without having to wait for the poor performance of the kitlog server during busy times.

bob

I just made an update to mykitlog site. As an experiment, I refreshed my page that was already up in my browser and started my rss feed.

The rss feed had my page update on the screen in about 10 seconds. The standard web interface took almost two minutes to show the same information.

I don't quite understand the performance differences between the two interfaces, but I'm now hooked on the RSS feed to mykitlog.

Thanks Matt!

bob