TX7A

Well Known Member
What I have:
GTN650 (GPS/NAV/COM)
Digiflight VSGV

Ultimately, I want to be able to switch the GPS source that feeds the A/P.

My harness builder labeled a wire from the GTN as "RS232 Aviation Data to A/P pin 17". I get this & have done such. My question is: Is this also the same RS232 data that would be used to crossfill to a 496? And if it is, can that RS232 signal be split & feed both the A/P & 496 at the same time?

Thanks for any help on this.

three devices

Not sure about the data content of the RS 232 stream in your case but my RS 232 setup successfully connects the 496 output to three devices (D-100, SL-30 and ADI II). I basically ganged one side of a terminal strip and fanned out the other side to the other systems.

The answer(s) are yes and yes.

Cheers,
Stein
Thanks!
...and then one more about all that:
If I were to switch the RS232 source for the A/P from the GTN to the 496, do I need to make a provision for disconnecting the ARINC A & B that comes from the GTN?...or is that something totally different? (just don't want the A/P to go willy-nilly for some reason)

Thank you, sir!

Thanks!
...and then one more about all that:
If I were to switch the RS232 source for the A/P from the GTN to the 496, do I need to make a provision for disconnecting the ARINC A & B that comes from the GTN?...or is that something totally different? (just don't want the A/P to go willy-nilly for some reason)

Thank you, sir!

You'll be good....just no GPSS, but it'll fly the flightplan course/pink line just fine.

Cheers,
Stein