Ironflight

VAF Moderator / Line Boy
Mentor
Let me share my interesting afternoon that started with a routine Saturday flight and ended with a satisfying rescue!

I live on a very shallow lake ("Clear lake" - obviously named by a developer!) which is connected to Galveston Bay, and the Gulf of Mexico. When the wind blows strong from the north, as it has for the past 24 hours, the bay empties out, and the lake drains as well, causing very low tides. The little community where I live, and have volunteered as a firefighter for 25 years, is responsible for rescue operations on the water which surrounds us.

As I was returning from the Lufkin Fajita fly-in a little after noon, I came across the lake and saw that the water was just about as low as I have every seen it. Always looking for good pictures to illustrate the shallowest spots (which change), I whipped out the camera and circled a couple of times to see where the latest mud flats were. I also noticed a 20 foot boat that looked to be high and dry out on one of the flats. It isn't uncommon for someone to go aground, but this one wasn't on the edge of a flat - it was in the middle! You can see it as a white spot on the flat coming up from the bottom center of this picture. (you can also see just how shallow all of the waters were today!

strandedboat2gk.jpg

I returned to the airport after snapping a few shots, and no sooner had I gotten the plane in the hangar than I received a page from our dispatcher - you guessed it, people stranded on a boat in the lagoon! I heard our guys go enroute with the rescue boat, and immediately got on the horn with them to tell 'em what I had seen from the air. This was important because the route they were going to have to take from the boat launch was not obvious. Knowing the lake well, I also instructed them NOT to try and reach the stranded boat directly, because the mud flats in the lake are like quick sand - if anyone left either boat, they were not only going to be cold and wet, but stuck up to their waste as well! It turned out that three people were stuck on the fishing boat, and had been there since 0900. They had been fishing, they were totally oblivious to the fact that they had anchored in the shallowest spot on the lake,and they were hard aground before they realized they were in danger!

I got back to the city as quick as I could, and we talked over our options. The folks on the stranded boat were cold, but at least they were dry - and we wanted to keep them that way! Teh temperature is predicted to get below freezing tonight, and we knew that there was no way to reach them on the surface. They were a good 200 yards from the nearest firm land. Our boat crew was able to talk with them, but not reach them. Despite the clear blue sky, this was a deceptively dangerous situation. Having seen it all from the air, I knew that we had no choice - the rescue had to come from above. So, we called for the orange cavalry!

rescuechopper9gq.jpg

No, it wasn't made from one of Van's kits, but you have to admit, it's slow-speed characteristics were more suitable for the job! The crew lifted all three stranded fisherman off in their basket, and whisked them away to warm blankets.

The only problem is that now the Chief wants me to mount a fire department radio in the RV so that we can use it as an airborne command post.... ;)

Paul

Who pays?

Very Kewl, Paul! Here in SE AZ we have the monsoon rains every summer starting around Jul 4 and continuing for 6-12 weeks. And every year some idiots go around barricades blocking low spots in roads that are prone to flash flooding ("cause it didn't look THAT deep!") and get their vehicles stuck or (worse) washed downstream. The authorities a couple years back enacted legislation that anyone who gets in a jam after having circumvented safety devices, warnings, what-have-you gets a bill for whatever the rescue costs!! Sounds fair to me but you know what they say: You can't legislate away stupidity.

The first picture is interesting. It almost looks like a bunch of other boat motors have become familiar with those flats.

bmurrish said:
The first picture is interesting. It almost looks like a bunch of other boat motors have become familiar with those flats.

Yeah, it's really fun to watch people in really expensive boats go plowing across the flats when there is water there...the only requirment to operate a personal boat is to have a big enough check book to buy it - no one ever said they have to buy or read charts! I guess they figure "I see water, this is a boat, I can go there!"

Who pays for a rescue? Good question! We were wondering that ourselves....I know that our Fire Department doesn't charge - but the taxpayer part of me kind of hopes those guys get a bill for Jet A from teh Coasties...

Fish? If they did have any, they're still out there- the boat is even higher and drier today! :D

Paul

Agent Orange

Having spent 10 yrs in the Coast Guard I can tell you that this service is free of charge, for better or for worse. This gets filed under dumb boat tricks.

rd

Rescue charges

RJDickensheets said:
Having spent 10 yrs in the Coast Guard I can tell you that this service is free of charge, for better or for worse.
This gets filed under dumb boat tricks.
I think it's a good idea. Imagine a knucklehead out there with his family, in the middle of the gulf,
with a storm rolling in. He can't get the boat started, or he runs out of gas. Rather than calling in the coasties,
which might cost him some cash, he calls his brother in law to come get him. Takes twice as long, and the storm
gets him, the wife, and three kids. That would be ugly. Probably happens today even with the "free" service,
but I'm sure it would be worse if it were a paid service.

Last edited:
An age-old Problem....

Yes, it is an ongoing issue, and always has been - charging for rescue costs, or not.

You can run into laws and ordinances all over the country (and the world)that require you to pay to be rescued - some are enforced, and others aren't.

In this case, the guy did EXACTLY what Mickey mentioned - called his brother-in-law...we found him and his boat sucking up mud at the boat launch... :rolleyes:

As a volunteer fire service,with our equipment and operating expenses paid for out of city taxes, we never ask for a dime for anything we do. But it is amazing how many donation checks get sent to us "in gratitude" by those we help out. The money is appreciated, but if had my choice, I'd ask the people for their time. It is harder and harder to recruit volunteers every year. You don't even have to put yourself in danger to help out - every fire department needs maintenance people and record-keepers as well!

Sorry, getting off-topic here...

I, for one, was very happy to see the big orange chopper - it meant I idn't have to go and get wet and muddy!

Paul