carl nank

Well Known Member
OK, doing some of the final checks prior to first flight.

Running up the engine for mag check and full power, (See below for engine type), and the RPM gauge (Dynon) got to about 1300 + rpm's but the engine was ,very obviously, running near full rpm's. Throttle was almost all the way in. This tells me I have a problem with the rpm showing about 50% on the gauge.

I did not troubleshoot this tonight yet, but, I seem to remember something while wireing the engine that might cause this.

Can anyone lead me in the right direction?

By the way, the engine did sound real good!

You need to change the PULS/REV R & L settings in the Tachometer Sensor setup page. IIRC a Lycoming with mags should be set to 2.

RPM

per the Dynon installation guide...

In the EMS Setup Menu, select the Tach sensor. You need to adjust your "Puls/Rev". If the EMS is indicating 1300rpm and you think the engine is running at 2600 (full throttle), then you should adjust the Puls/Rev to 1/2 of it's current value (ie if it's set at 4.0, you should set it at 2.0).

Good luck!

issues prior ro first flight

Thanks Scott,

I had the Tach/pulse set at "2" when I originally did my Dynon Calculation. I changed it to "1" and that took care of my problem of the Dynon indicating my tach RPM at about 1/2 of actual RPM.

Now I have another issue in that as I pushed my throttle in nearly all the way to determine if the engine would come up to full power, it overspeeded to 2800 RPM. Top RPM is supposed to be 2700 RPM.

I apparantly need to adjust my overspeed adjusment on the front of my propeller, (constant speed). Seems as I correct one issue in my quest to get to first flight, another problem pops up.

Again, Thanks

Yep, These sometimes need to be tweaked.....

Hang in there, your on the home stretch.. It won't be long now and it is very worth it!!!

Now I have another issue in that as I pushed my throttle in nearly all the way to determine if the engine would come up to full power, it overspeeded to 2800 RPM. Top RPM is supposed to be 2700 RPM.

I apparantly need to adjust my overspeed adjusment on the front of my propeller, (constant speed). Seems as I correct one issue in my quest to get to first flight, another problem pops up.

Again, Thanks

Prop adjustment

I apparantly need to adjust my overspeed adjusment on the front of my propeller, (constant speed).

Carl,
Start your RPM adjustments on the Prop Governor first, not the prop.
Rich

Last edited:
I can confirm that with a O-360 and slick mags, it must be set to "1" ppr not "2"....

This is completely according to how you are picking up RPM information. If you are using a accessory case mounted sensor (like I am) then the setting is different.

Yep sorry I forgot to qualify my setting....

My statement is only for when you use the tap the p-lead method....

Thanks Jamie!