justinmg

I am going to wire the Enigma RDAC for RPM. I need to pick up the L&R mag P lead signals.
I imagine I can get these in the cockpit at the key switch. Is this correct? Is it simple to identify the terminals?
Thanks

I am going to wire the Enigma RDAC for RPM. I need to pick up the L&R mag P lead signals.
I imagine I can get these in the cockpit at the key switch. Is this correct? Is it simple to identify the terminals?
Thanks

You might want to throw an e-mail in the general direction of Robin Coss Aviation in Cape Town, South Africa. You will find their website at www.CossAviation.co.za
They are professional RV builders and at this stage perhaps the most knowledgeable fitters of MGL instruments in RVs around.
They are using a small circuit using a few cents worth of components to tap into both mag leads so you have RPM indication during your mag checks on each circuit.
I'm sure they will be very helpful.

Rainier
CEO MGL Avionics

Ranier,
I have the 2 diodes, capacitor and resistor as you have previosly described. I was just looking for the easiest location of the signal pick up. I will drop them a mail to see if they have a preferred method.

Ranier,
I have the 2 diodes, capacitor and resistor as you have previosly described. I was just looking for the easiest location of the signal pick up. I will drop them a mail to see if they have a preferred method.

Ah, I forgot.
I'm not sure of the exact component values they ended up using - I gave them a whole lot of different values to try out. All I know is that they got it working nicely.
I would assume that the switch would be a good place to pick up the signal depending on the rest of your wiring. Of course, it would be nice to pickup the signals directly from the mags as you can then keep all that wriring on the engine side of the firewall as everything would connect into the RDAC.

Rainier

As my install is not de-novo, rather a panel re-wire, I find that all the thermocouples and sensors are already terminated in the cockpit for the old system, so that is where I have put the RDAC. Time will tell if this was a wise choice!