ToadMan8

I can tell it?s time to turn to the forums when I have been avoiding the project for a few weeks. Hoping you can help with question 1 of 2!

When prepping the main wing ribs (RV-7A) I followed Van?s supplementary instructions (https://www.vansaircraft.com/pdf/Wing_Wiring.pdf) to drill 5/8? holes on the forward end of the main ribs and insert snap bushings for running electrical wire. Many months later, I am closing up the wing and have decided to install AoA down the road, so I want to run two 1/4? soft aluminum tubes to support it.

My question is this: is there a good way to run the 1/4? soft aluminum tubing through the oversized SB625-7 bushings? Is there a good way to prevent them from rattling around in the bushings?

Thanks much,
Jeff

Tubing

I can tell it?s time to turn to the forums when I have been avoiding the project for a few weeks. Hoping you can help with question 1 of 2!

When prepping the main wing ribs (RV-7A) I followed Van?s supplementary instructions (https://www.vansaircraft.com/pdf/Wing_Wiring.pdf) to drill 5/8? holes on the forward end of the main ribs and insert snap bushings for running electrical wire. Many months later, I am closing up the wing and have decided to install AoA down the road, so I want to run two 1/4? soft aluminum tubes to support it.

My question is this: is there a good way to run the 1/4? soft aluminum tubing through the oversized SB625-7 bushings? Is there a good way to prevent them from rattling around in the bushings?

Thanks much,
Jeff

I'm not clear if you plan one tube per bushing or two in one bushing.
You could put a dab of Proseal.

I ran individual through bushings sized for the tubing. SafeAir has a very nice plumbing kit including color coded tubing, fittings and snap bushings.

Hi Jeff,

Funny, I just posted this photo in another thread about three minutes ago!!

Look in the lower left corner. I had a wiring bundle (actually, bundle is too strong a word) that was very loose in the snap bushings, so I cut sections of clear vinyl tubing, slit them, slipped them over the wires and put a zip tie on either side of the bushing. It'll work great for the alum. tubing too.

Hi Jeff,

Funny, I just posted this photo in another thread about three minutes ago!!

Look in the lower left corner. I had a wiring bundle (actually, bundle is too strong a word) that was very loose in the snap bushings, so I cut sections of clear vinyl tubing, slit them, slipped them over the wires and put a zip tie on either side of the bushing. It'll work great for the alum. tubing too.

Amusingly, you posted the same picture to illustrate an answer to both questions I posted :-D

The split tubing sounds like a perfect idea. I will do just that! Thanks so much :)

You might find it is possible to drill out the next size smaller snap bushing to have a close fit.

You didn't ask this, but...
Isn't 1/4" aluminum tubing a bit of overkill for AOA tubing? Not sure what Dynon's combo pitot tube uses, but the AFS tubing kit uses 1/8" OD plastic, IIRC. You should be able to lightly zip tie the two runs to your existing wire bundle in the wing, right? Basically adding the volume of a couple of extra wires to the bundle.

FWIW...