jmartinez443

Well Known Member
How did you route the pitot line and the electrical wiring from the wings to the panel on your 8(A)?

I'm in the process of plumbing my pitot and wing wiring and mainly I'm wondering how you route those items from behind the spar center section forward.

Thanks in advance for your input.

Hi Jorge,

The plans show a couple of places that you can drill holes in the center section to get through the spar. I then ran some wires forward in a bundle under each of the little side sub-panels. Another trick to get from the back to the front is to tuck the bundles under the arm rests on the right side, then into the 804, then into the right side electrical.switch panel, and forward to the gear tower. You can also run some the same way on the left, trough the throttle quadrant.

I used every one of those locations, as well as the electrical distribution panel I built on the right side. I have a lot of wires!:)

Paul

I've thought about the pitot line routing earlier in the project, but it's time to think about it some more and get some opinions.

Here's a picture of the inboard end of the left wing:

Notice that there are three holes. The big one is my electrical conduit. It was drilled as advised on Van's website. The two little ones were as received from the Phillipines. You can see that one of the little holes has the AOA plumbing and a couple of wires for the OAT probe. The other hole might have contained the pitot line. However, look at this next photo:

This is a picture of the fuselage where the wing will mate with it, and where the electrical and plumbing need to penetrate. You can see that I already have a hole and bushing exactly matched with the large electrical conduit. The problem is the two little predrilled holes. They match up with that doubler just forward of the aileron pushrod hole. They cannot penetrate there. The AOA tubing is flexible enough to bend aft where the fuselage can be penetrated, but the pitot tubing is not. I don't like the idea of a couple of elbow fittings to get the pitot line where it needs to be.

I'm thinking of doing about what Dan did, and drilling holes through all the wing walk ribs near where the larger electrical conduit is. But then there would be two holes in that neighborhood, maybe weakening the ribs.

What do you think?

Craig

You can run the pitot line just as you planned in the existing holes, but dont run it there in the root rib. Instead, bring it aft as needed to clear the doubler, and then through the root rib, you will only need to drill one additional hole this way.

Good luck.

Thanks Mike. That sounds like the perfect solution. I'd like to think that I would have thought of it myself, given enough time. I'm off on a trip right now, so I won't be able to look at it for a couple of days. I'm not sure that Nylo seal tubing will make that jog.

Craig

Work the tubing while it is warm.

If needed, you can spread the bend over two ribs.

Good luck.

I notice you have a picture on the header of your messages, and a signature on the end. I remember reading about the header a while ago, but I didn't pay enough attention. I can't find information how to do either the header or the footer.

How is it done?

Craig

Craig, go to the top of the page, this page works, where you will see a blue bar just under the thread title. The far left selection on the bar is "User CP" click on this and you will be in the control panel. Upper left is the edit menu for your signature, and avatar----picture----where you set up these things.

I dont remember the exact procedure to insert the avatar, try a search for the instructions.