Tram

Well Known Member
Well, the intercom that was in our RV when we picked it up is now toast and I'm glad it is. Replacing it with a PS Engineering 1000 and I'm looking to route the headset jack wires. I'm going to have Stein at SteinAir.com wire up a harness.

I'm thinking about mounting the headset jacks on the vertical pillar behind the seats in the middle. I want the headset wiring behind the seats as I hate being covered with wires and think this location would allow for access during flight if I need it.

What I'm curious about is this - since I didn't build it and haven't had a chance to dig out the plans, I'm wondering where best to route the wires to mount the jacks in this location.

I'm thinking about running the wires under the "floor" of the seats and back up through the floor into the pillar. Does anyone see any issues with this?

Hi Jeff....

...we had our plugs on top of the crossbar behind the seats and regretted it.

A much more convenient place is on the left and right sides of the lower instrument panel. Access is easy and the excess wire simply lays between the seat cushion and the fuselage side.

Best,

pierre smith;506897A said:
much more convenient place is on the left and right sides of the lower instrument panel. Access is easy and the excess wire simply lays between the seat cushion and the fuselage side.
Best,

Agree with Pierre, plus it keeps the cables shorter which makes them easier to install and less likely to pick up noise.

I have mine there!

I installed the jacks in my 6 exactly where you wanted them and I like them there. Like you said there wires are all behind you. When I get out of the plane I hang the headsets on the passengers shoulder belts. It works perfectly. I can reach them from the pilot seat and hand them to the passenger easily. They stay plugged in and out of the way. I routed my wires like all my wires going to the back of the plane outside under my wing route fairings. Then back in behind the spar under the seats to the center channel and up into the electric flap motor area. I have them tied all along the way so they can't interfere with anything.

If it's a -6x tip-up, you can place the jacks in the triangles behind the base of the roll over structure. Keeps the wires to the outside instead of having two sets of wires in the middle.

A much more convenient place is on the left and right sides of the lower instrument panel. Access is easy and the excess wire simply lays between the seat cushion and the fuselage side.

Best,

I too mounted mine on the left and right side of the panel and there is no "rats nest" of wires. They simply lay down beside your leg.

If you mount them behind the seat, you have to turn around to plug them in.

Mine are in the lower corners of the panel below the vents. Work fine there...The cord and the Zulu control box just lay beside me in between my leg and the side of the fuse....

Makes getting to the Zulu controls easy.

I've mounted them behind, overhead, center console, side console, & panel corners. Center is the worst. Still can't say which is best. Maybe wireless? I do usually wire them standard with a PTT and take PTT from there to the stick. Easier troubleshooting and allows use of a hand mike if needed. On most intercoms, the pilot's PTT is a normal ground and the jacks function as a "hard wire" to the com in the event of intercom failure. If you install the jacks in the panel corners its easier to yank them out in flight and swap headsets or plug in a hand mike if you don't have a dedicated mic jack for it.

Mine are in the back, too, and it keeps the rat's-nest behind you.
That was my thinking too. Although the jacks can be accessed in flight, the reality is the pilot headset is almost never disconnected. As shown in the photo on the right, the ANR control box is firmly attached to the armrest with velcro, (how do others deal with that?) and I've never regretted the placement I decided upon.

acr0us.jpg

Yeh, looks like I've got some thinking to do still.. Currently, they are plugged up in the back and I'm doing ok with it..

I don't really want them on the panel.. It drives me nuts to have wires coming out of the panel..

It's s 6 tip up, btw.

That was my thinking too. Although the jacks can be accessed in flight, the reality is the pilot headset is almost never disconnected. As shown in the photo on the right, the ANR control box is firmly attached to the armrest with velcro, (how do others deal with that?) and I've never regretted the placement I decided upon.

acr0us.jpg

While this looks like a workable location, it will be a challenge to trouble shoot a connection problem in flight or switch headsets.

However, the bigger issue is if you elect to install a Classic Aero interior at some time down the road. Their panels will cover those holes.

Broad Strokes vs Fine Points

....it will be a challenge to trouble shoot a connection problem in flight or switch headsets.....the bigger issue is if you elect to install a Classic Aero interior at some time down the road....
You raise some reasonable, interesting points. Before drilling any holes, any given builder may want to consider those carefully thought out points beforehand. But your thoughts beg further comment. You seem to envision the potential of swapping headsets with a passenger while in flight. Fair enough point for some I suppose, but personally I do not stow unused foam ear inserts on board and even if I did, would not be within easy reach so on that basis alone, cannot imagine sharing those Clarity Alofts with anyone on an impromptu basis. :)

Beyond my headset preference, consider this alternative POV relative to the two other issues you raise. #1. Interior treatment. Surely there are other builders out there, not dreaming or otherwise desirous of a Classic Aero retrofit down the road. Indeed, some builders prefer to surround themselves amid a cockpit suggestive of the miltary mindset which by default is obviously spartan, but also much lighter and significantly less expensive than a fabric or leather alternative. Opting for that kind of simplicity resonates with many builders. Besides, even if the builder changes his mind later on, the location I suggested and chose for myself on both RV's will not stop anybody from installing an interior later and I would anticipate with some minor workaround can include the Classic Aero interior you thought to mention.

#2. Speaking to your one other point Bill, troubleshooting a bad electrical connection; I do not anticipate a pressing need to engage in anything other than a superficial troubleshooting exercise while in flight. Without an autopilot to engage, any RV is not exactly a hands off airplane to the degree I would feel comfortable contorting about the cockpit all the while attempting to chase down a faulty electrical connection. Even if I did find it, then what? Get out the soldering iron? Nope, other than giving the components a good smack or simply jiggling the jack plugs, I'm afraid I'd just have to yell to my passenger "Sorry...bad connection...we need to shout to one other for the rest of the flight!" :)

You raise some reasonable, interesting points. Before drilling any holes, any given builder may want to consider those carefully thought out points beforehand. But your thoughts beg further comment. You seem to envision the potential of swapping headsets with a passenger while in flight. Fair enough point for some I suppose, but personally I do not stow unused foam ear inserts on board and even if I did, would not be within easy reach so on that basis alone, cannot imagine sharing those Clarity Alofts with anyone on an impromptu basis. :)

Beyond my headset preference, consider this alternative POV relative to the two other issues you raise. #1. Interior treatment. Surely there are other builders out there, not dreaming or otherwise desirous of a Classic Aero retrofit down the road. Indeed, some builders prefer to surround themselves amid a cockpit suggestive of the miltary mindset which by default is obviously spartan, but also much lighter and significantly less expensive than a fabric or leather alternative. Opting for that kind of simplicity resonates with many builders. Besides, even if the builder changes his mind later on, the location I suggested and chose for myself on both RV's will not stop anybody from installing an interior later and I would anticipate with some minor workaround can include the Classic Aero interior you thought to mention.

#2. Speaking to your one other point Bill, troubleshooting a bad electrical connection; I do not anticipate a pressing need to engage in anything other than a superficial troubleshooting exercise while in flight. Without an autopilot to engage, any RV is not exactly a hands off airplane to the degree I would feel comfortable contorting about the cockpit all the while attempting to chase down a faulty electrical connection. Even if I did find it, then what? Get out the soldering iron? Nope, other than giving the components a good smack or simply jiggling the jack plugs, I'm afraid I'd just have to yell to my passenger "Sorry...bad connection...we need to shout to one other for the rest of the flight!" :)

Very well put!

Wireless options?

What is the current wireless option for AV headsets? Would think that todays electronics could make that an easy option. I'm not aware of any wireless options but would like to know if there is any.

Very interesting...

...development. Are there any testimonies from users? How do their noise level and comfort compare to Bose or Lightspeed Zulu's?

Regards,

acr0us.jpg

Am I correct in assuming you ran the wires under the arm rest and up the back side of the bulkhead?

I am heading out to the hangar tomorrow to test some locations, but the other night we were looking at spots and yours is one we considered..

Am I correct in assuming you ran the wires under the arm rest and up the back side of the bulkhead?.....
Reasonable assumption, Tram. Although I do have wires routed underneath the armrests, the actual jack wire routing is illustrated here:

24g7u6s.jpg

Something to consider: To protect the backside of the jacks from exposure to potential damage, I fashioned of pair of protective guards using nothing more than a broomstick and bench vise on scrap .025 aluminum stock:

195obo.jpg