RV9798

Well Known Member
Hi seasoned RVators,

I found a good excuse to fly my self and my bride from Victoria, BC Canada to Albuquerque NM in about 2 weeks time in my year old RV9A. This will be my first big cross country trip in the 9. I like to do it in 2 days. My first day to Twinfalls ID and the next day to Albuquerque. Could you advice me on nice GA airports in the vicinity of Twinfalls and our final destination in Albuquerque.

Is this a good routing, since we have to negociate the big rocks? Is there a better or preferable way to Albuquerque?

I am open for advice.

Thanks,

Pete

Pete, Land at the Twin Falls TWF airport for your overnight. Reeder Flying Service will take good care of you. They will set you up with thier corporate rate at nearby hotels and they have several courtesy cars. As for TWF to Albuquerque there a couple of routes that you can take and not have to fly too high to get through the Rockies. Really great scenery if you choose to fly over Zion and Bryce canyon. Give me a call and we can put your plane in a hanger when you get to TWF. Don 208-734-4999

routing advice

I'll second Don's endorsement of stopping at Twin Falls. The FBO does have pilot rates at a couple hotels and it was a very nice one night stop.

Tom Lewis
RV7a

We recently made a trip from Ogden ,UT to Santa Fe, NM with a stop in Moab in a 182. (OGD - CNY - SAF). Put 4 hours on the hobbs. We followed I-15 south to Spanish Fork (U77), then picked up Hwy 6 east (high country) to Price (PUC) then to Moab. From there it was direct to Santa Fe (talking to Albuq approach) passing Cortez, CO and Four Corners area.
OGD is only 1.2-ish from TWF and has a restaurant and fuel. See you then.

Working the canopy on my -9A,
Steve

Both ABQ and AEG are good places and treat you very well. I prefer AEG because the fuel is much cheaper and it's a lot easier to get in and out of. There are 3+ RVs at AEG. Larry

Albuquerque Destination

Pete,

I would suggest AEG. Bode Aviation has good friendly service. There are a bunch of RV'ers there.

I did a bunch of traveling between Salt Lake City and Albuquerque earlier this year and would recommend the path Steve suggested. It is some really nice scenery. Moab and Canyonlands are amazing!

When you get into Albuquerque, let us know!

Thanks

yakdriver said:
Give me a call and we can put your plane in a hanger when you get to TWF.

Don, thanks for your generosity. I am leaving Victoria around 7pm and I will be in twin falls around 10pm (Border Customs ect) an I am planning to leave early...around 8 or 9 am, so I will take a rain cheque for you offer. Next time...

I am glad and thankful for RV-drivers like you.

Pete :D

AEG

sglaeser said:
Pete,

I would suggest AEG. Bode Aviation has good friendly service. There are a bunch of RV'ers there.

I did a bunch of traveling between Salt Lake City and Albuquerque earlier this year and would recommend the path Steve suggested. It is some really nice scenery. Moab and Canyonlands are amazing!

When you get into Albuquerque, let us know!

Steve,

Thanks for the suggestion. AEG will be my final destination.

I would gladly meet you. I will give you a call.
My email is hifly.pete :) gmail.com

Pete

Pete, Call Reeders before you leave as they close around 10:00. The Shilo Inn and a couple other hotels have shuttles and Reeders does open around 6am. Don

I am Back....

Just came back from my trip to Albuquerque on Sunday. I also made a side trip to Las Vegas on the way home...I made it back in one piece and I am one long trip wiser. I learned a lot about long CC trips. Met a lot of great aviation people and loved every minute of it. I flew most of my legs in high country at "one four thousand five hundred" feet and up to " one six thousand five hundred" feet. . I had to learn to say this fluently, because this is the first time (in Cross Country) that I flew that high.

cimg1648pp5.jpg

Topping up Oxygen in Eugene Oregon.

cimg1579bo9.jpg

My CoPilot in the plane and in my life at Mountain Home airport, Idaho (U76) for fuel and rest stop

cimg1593ug5.jpg

Eagle II (AEG) airport

cimg1624xb4.jpg

North Las Vegas Airport VGT

On Thursday we made this YYJ-PDX-U76-PGA-AEG = 1188NM

On Friday we did AEG-VGT= 415NM

and on Sunday VGT-MYV-EUG-YYJ=931NM

Total mileage: 2534NM ...not bad for a plane build in a garage eh?

We did not encounter any major problems except low oxygen...I left it on overnight.....oh yah....dodging restricted areas. I was happy my AVMap helped me tremendously. It showed me exactly where they are..but more in my story coming up.

I will write a story and post it.

Thanks to all who helped me plan the trip.