ddurakovich

Well Known Member
Anyone care to share their technuques of TO/Ldg on soft/rough fields with a TD RV?

Our glider field is pretty typical, old farm field, now grass, small peaks and valleys, occasional gopher holes (none that will swallow an RV, I hope!), 2500 feet long, 50' trees on the extended centerline at each end.

Thanks!

Still learning but...

We have a 2300' grass strip with 50' trees on one end and clear over water on the other at the island where we have a house along the Georgia Coast.

Approach- I've been flying 80kn (still trying to get the speeds down) over "the numbers", then letting the speed slow down to around 70kn while still maintaining the same glideslope. About 3-5ft off the ground, raise the nose to level attitude- wait, then just a hair more nose up for a 3pt landing. Full aft on the stick, apply brakes (smoothly), flaps up. Keep rolling to your parking spot.

Besides coming in fast (a typical RV issue), the landings are uneventful.

Take Off- I used 10 deg flap, run up in place, get rolling, brake test, hold brakes, full power, release brakes, forward stick, wait for tail to come up, start apply slight back pressure around 50kn, once off the ground- stay in ground effect to get the speed up to max climb (70kn?), or in my case get the speeds up for a straight out over the water where the winds are stronger.

The key for me was getting that tailwheel up fast- it causes a LOT of drag and bouncing around.

With trees at both ends- practice on another strip first. My first couple of landings and take offs were fast and takeoff was long until I could practice a few.

If I had 80 kts. (that's 92 mph) to the numbers, I'd hit the train at the other end of the runway. I shoot for 70-75 MPH at the numbers. This is about 1.4 VSo. (Actually at that point I'm not looking at the ASI.)

Be aware that the accuracy of the airspeed indication system may vary significantly from one RV to another. Don't just assume that because a speed of XX works well on one RV that it may work well on yours. If you plan to decrease the approach speed, do tests in very small decrements, on a day with still air. Find the minimum approach speed that just allows an acceptable flare, then add a small buffer above that minimum. The buffer is there to account for the normal variations in speed you see due to turbulence, pilot inattention, etc. The minimum demonstrated speed + the buffer becomes your minimum acceptable approach speed.

Also be aware that weight and CG also have an effect here. For a given weight, you are further from the stall at aft CG, but pitch control is more sensitve.

Ha ha

Mel said:
If I had 80 kts. (that's 92 mph) to the numbers, I'd hit the train at the other end of the runway. I shoot for 70-75 MPH at the numbers. This is about 1.4 VSo. (Actually at that point I'm not looking at the ASI.)

Haha

I'm trying-

I have a few things going on that I need to work out:

1. 45 hrs total in a tailwheel- more time will help get the speed under control.
2. I think I'm light in the nose, keeping me from a correct glideslope angle at lower speeds. One person and half fuel and I can get my speeds down.
3. I think my idle is a little high, seeing around 800 rpm on final, power off.
4. I think the prop is not pitched properly, it came off a RV6- not sure what affect that has...

If I have 2 people and full fuel, 70kn gives me a slight nose up attitude and a high sink rate. I need to play with the above, and work on pattern base/final distances to get the right combination.

Some precautions but it has been done

ddurakovich said:
Anyone care to share their techniques of TO/Ldg on soft/rough fields with a TD RV?

Our glider field is pretty typical, old farm field, now grass, small peaks and valleys, occasional gopher holes (none that will swallow an RV, I hope!), 2500 feet long, 50' trees on the extended center-line at each end. Thanks!
Hard to say by your description; not all gopher holes are the same! :D
caddyshack_gopher.jpg

RV's only have 5x5 tires. That is the size of a C-152 nose gear. There is not a lot you can do about the tire size, since axial size dictates rim size, which dictates the tire. As long as your plane is not super nose heavy (weight on mains). Some folks put heavier engines on their plane. It makes sense to me, the lighter your plane, the better it will be on soft fields.

Over the years, changing 5x5 tires on my RV, I see difference brands have different tread cross section profile. Some have a squarer tread edge, basically wider, so pick the wider brand. Sorry I don't recall the brands.

Second I'd install the wheel pants higher up on the tire (with more rubber exposed) and cut larger gap around the tire opening. Many folks fit their wheel pants almost dragging on the ground and with Min gaps, fitting like a glove, to get max speed. No wheel pants may play rock havoc on the flaps & wing skin. If there is mud you will have issues with the pants, so consider putting in some internal bulkheads to keep the mud out.

It ain't no C-180, but you can fly off a farmer field. The good news is your take off run is pretty short, landing even shorter, so you can pick the best part of the strip to operate from.

The 50' trees is not a big deal, but again temp, weight, winds.........how tall and wet is the grass? Once in the air, climb rate is pretty outstanding.

Constant speed prop and more HP of course helps takeoff and landing performance, but mostly the c/s prop. The C/S prop helps takeoff but it also helps landing on the RV. RV's are pretty slick and the constant speed prop at idle provides more drag than a fixed pitch prop at idle, which actually might have a little thrust if idle is high.

If you look at Van's "numbers" you see very short numbers, as low as 300 feet and no more than 550-600 feet at max for gross wt w/ 160 HP. Their numbers do not say prop type, but assume constant speed. At light weight and 180 HP, takeoff/landing ground runs are very short. You have to realize RV's are ALL different. So it's hard to nail down one number, but RV's usually meet or exceed expected performance.

All RV's have reasonably strong gears but they are springy. The RV-8 seems to have the most rugged main gear in my opinion, it is flat spring, verse a round tapered "Whitman" spring gear the others models use. Being flat it tends to not bend back as much in soft dirt. Also when you put a passenger in a tandem, like the RV-8 or RV-4, the CG goes aft big time. That should help reduce tail tip-up/nose over potential, if your mains run into a BIG hole. This is all conjecture and wild gussing on my part, but I flew my RV-4 off of grass and some rough forestry mountain strips with out any problem.

RV's don't nose over unless they are landed off field in really soft rough stuff. As you probably know you can get a Trike or Taildragger gear on most RV models. Both gear configurations can be be fine on the dirt, but there is some controversy about the nose tire version digging in and causing flip. That is a different issue from the taildraggers. Taildraggers RV's have flipped on rare occasion, but often its as the result of off-field emergency landings on really soft/rough surfaces. I have seen many Cessna's flipped on their back.
learn2flyue9.jpg

Last edited:
Mel said:
I hold 65 mph until over the numbers and then still float down the field.

Oh, that's right, I have a -9. :D

The other day I almost beat a 180 HP RV-8 to the fuel pumps because I was able to use a shorter pattern and made the first turn off. When he saw that happening, he picked up his taxi speed a little to cut me off.

jcmcdowell said:
Haha

I'm trying-

I have a few things going on that I need to work out:

1. 45 hrs total in a tailwheel- more time will help get the speed under control.
2. I think I'm light in the nose, keeping me from a correct glideslope angle at lower speeds. One person and half fuel and I can get my speeds down.
3. I think my idle is a little high, seeing around 800 rpm on final, power off.
4. I think the prop is not pitched properly, it came off a RV6- not sure what affect that has...

If I have 2 people and full fuel, 70kn gives me a slight nose up attitude and a high sink rate. I need to play with the above, and work on pattern base/final distances to get the right combination.
Do it all in small steps. Every airspeed indicator and every airplane is different.

Thanks, good advice all!

Though I may not have been specific enough in my first post, I think I got what I need to start.

Neither the length of the field, nor the trees were an issue, but rather a description. I've been in and out of this field a number of times without issue, other than feeling like I'm being beat up by the ground on takeoff!

The grass is generally kept fairly close, and doesn't tend to get real soft, so a standard hold brakes/full power start-up is easily done. And I think we've only lost one small girl named Alice to a gopher hole
icon10.gif

With my short gear legs, I guess I've been just a little slow on the trigger to get the tail up on ground roll, and a little too preoccupied to immediately dump flaps on touchdown.

Just going to take more practice!

jcmcdowell said:
Take Off- I used 10 deg flap....
Try 15 deg flap for take-off. I've found this to be optimal.
Easiest way to find 15 deg is, push the stick to one side and align the flaps with the "down" aileron.