9Driver

Finally got my airworthiness after several months of waiting. Due to having the airplane ready for inspection (tank out) and having been rescheduled several times, it is finally an airplane. However due to the above, has not been run for three months. Ran perfectly before, and on last shutdown I closed the fuel valve and ran the engine until it quit due to fuel starvation, so the carbs should have been empty of fuel. Got it all reassembled today, put fuel in it and ran it again. However it will not run smoothly with the choke off - runs very rough with substantial drop in RPM. Reapplying the choke causes it to smooth out and run normally. Obviously not getting enough fuel with choke off. Fuel pressure normal and engine head temps in the 150's. Any ideas as to where to start looking? Any help appreciated. Thanks

It certainly sounds like a clogged idle jet. You can do this without fully removing the carb. Loosen the rubber flange clamp screw. Push the carb back out of the rubber flange socket. This will allow the carb to raise higher up and trun the bottom outward toward you. Pop the bowl off. First spray carb cleaner and follow it with air through the idle jet located in the corner of the bowl down in the bottom. Blow it out in both directions. The take a small straight tip screwdriver and unscrew that idle jet. Take a #16 ga. wire and strip back about 3" and pull out to one side one strand of that wire. yes the hole through the center is this small. Run this through the center of the idle jet to clean it. Then spray carb cleaner followed by air through both direction on this jet. Re-install the jet and put the bowl back on. Do this to both carbs. Then re-install both carbs in the rubber flange. Don't forget to tighten the flange clamp. You should now have a nice clean idle circuit. This can be verified by hooking up a set of carb sync gauges and making sure they are equal. I would highly recommend putting the sync gauge on when done. The whole process takes about 40 min. Let us know how it works out.