jeff beckley

Well Known Member
My 0-360 has developed a slight rough condition in the 2200-2450 range.
Runs pretty smooth above 2500. I noticed that the EGT's on #3 were about 100dgs hotter than the rest and I could not get it to lean out without increasing the roughness before I reached ROP. So we inspected the induction tube and found that the gasket was leaking and then I replaced it. During the test flight I saw an improvement in the way I could lean. I was able to get the fuel flow down to 10gph at 2500rpm where before I could not get close to 11.5 before it got to rough.
Now I notice that the CHT on the #3 cylinder gets hot faster than before on climb out. Goes to 425deg as opposed to 375 before I repaired the gasket.
I also now feel a strange bumping or slight backfire from the engine when I pull power on approach.
Could someone suggest a few things to try while test flying so I can report back to help diagnose weather I am to rich or lean.
I did have to turn the low speed screw in 1.5 turns as the plugs would start to load up at idle and there was a slight lag or hesitation upon applying power that would clear up if I were to pull the mixture halfway. Would being too righ on the bottom end contribute to the back firing?

Don't know if it would cause your trouble, but I recently found a loose primer connection on mine. Seems that this would cause a nice little vacuum leak on one cyl.