CPSONE

Well Known Member
Found some pretty rough work (reinforcement plate) on my Quick build 7A around the HS rear attach bars. No corner radius and inadequate edge finishing and not enough distance on some holes. The second pic is of the rear deck I removed to fix a problem and found corrosion. Wouldn't think there would be corrosion like that with the factory wash primer supposedly on these parts. I'll treat the inside with acf 50 after the bird is painted and will definitely prime the replacement rear deck that I have.
11hysgj.jpg

715hky.jpg

Last edited:
Corner radius / edge finishing

Would have never known had I not had to take the rear deck off to fix the previous owner's mistake. Glad I took it appart now!
I also have to say...My rivet removal tool was well worth the price!:)

If you haven't already, please send those pictures to Van's. I think they would be very interested.
That level of workmanship is totally unacceptable.

Sent to Van's

Sent them to Van's yesterday Mel.
Both the corrosion and the bad plate.
I'll post their reply when I get it.

Oh? What's this? Always interested in new gadgets :)

Got it from Avery. Centers the drill over the rivet head and you set the depth to drill at the perfect depth. For 1/8th rivets I drill with the rivet removal tool unsing the #30 bit then by hand I drill part of the way through the rest of the rivet with a #40 bit, not all the way through the shop head though, pop the manufactured head off, then use a 3-32 puch and punch out the rivet. They come out real easily this way and do not damage the hole.:)

Here's the link to it;
http://www.averytools.com/prodinfo.asp?number=40053

Last edited:
Marginal at best

Found some pretty rough QB factory work.....No corner radius.....
If you haven't already, please send those pictures to Van's. I think they would be very interested.
That level of workmanship is totally unacceptable.

I am not 100% certain I referenced the specific part depicted in your detail photograph. No matter, because it doesn't make any difference. Standards are standards. It has to be disappointing to some quickbuild purchasers when craftsmanship clearly falls short of accepted and long established sheet metal best practices. Among several shortcomings in workmanship your example clearly exposes, the anonymous worker who actually "crafted" the part in question was either unaware of typical radius specifications as called out in Van's own drawings or that worker chose to ignore the specifications altogether.

vmroky.jpg

F711E

I am not 100% certain I referenced the specific part depicted in your detail photograph.
Yes that's the part in the pic. It's F-711E Down Elevator Stop / Spacer on
the -7.
I'll fix it build on and keep my eyes wide open!

Last edited:
QB ...or not!

Mike, not fun to run across that kind of thing......but, just gonna throw this out there.
There's a chance some folks who get a QB..... then make a 'boo-boo', ruin a part....and in their haste to continue, fab up something themselves that looks like the junior-high metal shop part you've run across here! ( or some helpful hangar mate says....'don't order one, ****, I can make THAT!')
....any chance of politely asking the previous builder if there were any 'spoiled' pieces during the build.
...hey, I think it happens to everyone!

Would have never known had I not had to take the rear deck off to fix the previous owner's mistake. Glad I took it appart now!
I also have to say...My rivet removal tool was well worth the price!:)

Looks like wash primered parts from Van's QB... and if so "Houston we have a problem" .!!!!

Let us know what Van's states here please.

QB

It's definitely a QB, still has the original marker writing on the firewall.
I'm pretty certain the deck had never been removed and reinstalled as it was pretty clean under the parts meaning no scratches deformed holes, nothing.
there were a couple club foot rivets but the others were all real good.
I also have the original receipts from Van's.

QB Fuse

My QB had some rough work as well, Van's worked with me on parts. Might have just been me being picky, I dunno. Rick 90432

As the parts come off...More substandard stuff

More...
Holes were not de-burred at the top of F710 bulkhead (not from removing rivets, I removed rivets in the opposite direction)and end edge finishing on F710B (the angle the Front spar of the HS bolts through) is not good. The inside edge of the angle is extremely sharp.
F711D angle will have to come off for end edge contouring an de-burring as well.

2z3qe01.jpg

qsjkee.jpg

Last edited:
This is one of the reasons why I built a standard "slow build" build kit, better quality control :D

VERY glad I went with a slow build now. I know the guy building my plane would never settle for that kind of workmanship.

Hang on...

I've built RV's both ways, Standard and QB. A first time builder will be hard pressed to maintain the quality of the QB as it has been known... the work was and has been very nice. This seems to be an issolated situation. Van's has people responsible for inspecting EVERY QB component received and that they ship to customers BEFORE it ever leaves Van's. I suspect this was a transition quality control sample that was not supposed to be sold or shipped out. This also happened to me about seven years ago on a set of QB RV7 fuel tanks. I ordered them, got them and threw up. Call Van's, exchanged pictures and sure enough the tanks that got shipped to me where proto tanks used in quality control training in the Phillipines. :eek: Needless to say, the new tanks were shipped to me ASAP and they were Beautiful!!! :D

With the concentration of corrsion around the holes on that aft deck (bottom, I assume?) it looks as though the longerons and/or aft deck were primed before drilling (if at all), and not touched up afterwards.

A first time builder will be hard pressed to maintain the quality of the QB as it has been known...

I beg to differ. My slow build kit is handcrafted with meticulous care and with no regard to the cost of an hourly wage.

I agree that if I ever build a second one, it will be even better, but these examples on this thread look egregious, and most first time builders can exceed this level of quality without much extra experience.

Just to add to this thread. I'm going to help with a canopy on a 9 QB. The workmanship...........is very good.

Yes that's the part in the pic. It's F-711E Down Elevator Stop / Spacer on
the -7.
Makes one question the level of quality control at the assembly factory...
Whoever made this part no doubt was tasked to make a bunch of them at a time I would guess so there are probably other similar ones out there. Don't mean to open a can of worms but it is certainly disapointing to see this in a hidden area.The edges of the cut-out in the longeron are also pretty rough...
I'll fix it build on and keep my eyes wide open!

Mike,
Are you sure those parts were part of the factory QB?
I've done both a slow build and QB fuselage and remember making the angle brackets, but I can not remember if I did them twice.

Reply from Van's

The reply from van's simply states to refer to AC43.13 as this is a "used kit" and replace previous builder's mistakes with new parts.

Last edited:
Not an RV builder, but I have a question. What kind of documentation comes with Vans QB components? I ask because I built a zodiac 640 from a quickbuild kit, and there are sheets detailing every step in the build. All steps completed by the factory are initialed by the tech doing the work, and by the person doing QA on the part. Does Vans have anything like this?