walkman

Well Known Member
I'm expecting to have a deal on one of two aircraft I'm currently negotiating on. Both are currently FP props.

Whats the rough cost to upgrade to a C/S prop?

I've found props that sound reasonable in the new or reconditioned state for 3-3.5k pretty readily. I'm guessing $750-1k for a governor.

What else do I need to think about? Spinners? Backplates? Cowls?

Thanks

Not an expert, but....

I did this on mine, while it was being built. My engine/prop was originally set up for fixed pitch.
I'll take a stab at it:
1. You'll have to check out the lyc service bulletin for your engine on the crankshaft plugs
2. Governor $1000
3. Governor drive pad, if not installed $500+
4. Cable and various bracketry
5. Spinner and backing plate $
6. MP/RPM indications - if you only have a tach now $??
7. Prop - $4000 and up depending on new/used/type
8. Firewall penetration for prop cable $cheap
9. If you are using a quadrant you'll need to upgrade to a 3 lever style
10. Governor feed line (very expensive from Lyc), but you can find them used. IIRC $500 new / used $50 - $100
11. Likely you will need to replace the bushings in your crank flange - mine were too long. $200ish.

Beware, some lyc crankcases are vented to allow oil to flow through the hollow crank in a fixed pitch setup and you may have to split the cases to plug this. Although not common, it could be a show stopper. There are posts on the forum that talk about this and you can call Lyc and give them the casting numbers off the cases to be totally sure. Not detectable externally....
Not trying to discourage as this it totally do-able, just want you to go in eye-wide-open. Lots of folks have done this so I'm sure they'll chime in.

Hope this helps!

Last edited:
My RV6 had the correct engine/crank to convert to C/S although I never did due to the cost reaching almost $6K when said and done with everything hired.

I ended up buying another plane because I knew I would not get a return on my investment if I did it.

Just make sure all your current engine and components are 100% compatible before you begin buying parts for the conversion.

C/S prop does have several advantages, although you pay for it.

Good luck. If you do it, you will love it!

Depends on the constant speed. Hartzells are much heavier (25-30lbs I think) than Whirl Wind. My Whirl Wind is 28lbs with hub. Doesn't include weight of governor, which on the WhirlWind is probably 3- 5lbs at most. I don't have any idea about the MT. Some use 2 blades, some 3 on both C/S and fixed Catto...

Jeremy

Price of admission

I get to fly many different RVs in my consulting travels and have my own opinions on C/S. To answer your question, between 7-13K depending on the prop, governor, extended hub(if needed) and plumbing. Personally, I like the FP, light nose RVs better for all around flying and are cheaper to own and maintain. C/S has many advantages in total performance however my Catto propped RVs have never had any problems exceeding my expectations for less $$$ and weight(35-75 lbs more for C/S)

My advice: 7-13k buys alot of 100LL :)
Go fly!
Smokey

I get to fly many different RVs in my consulting travels and have my own opinions on C/S. To answer your question, between 7-13K depending on the prop, governor, extended hub(if needed) and plumbing. Personally, I like the FP, light nose RVs better for all around flying and are cheaper to own and maintain. C/S has many advantages in total performance however my Catto propped RVs have never had any problems exceeding my expectations for less $$$ and weight(35-75 lbs more for C/S)

My advice: 7-13k buys alot of 100LL :)
Go fly!
Smokey

On the other hand, there are many of us.............who wouldn't want an RV without a C/S. We talk about it all the time; fly-in breakfast, EAA meetings, RV builder meetings etc. It was my first and foremost option, and I've never changed my mind. C/S, or it's a no/go....

L.Adamson

On the other hand, there are many of us.............who wouldn't want an RV without a C/S. We talk about it all the time; fly-in breakfast, EAA meetings, RV builder meetings etc. It was my first and foremost option, and I've never changed my mind. C/S, or it's a no/go....

L.Adamson

That would be a interesting poll. If not already done.

The first RV I built was a RV6 with a 150 HP Lycoming and a fixed pitch prop.
After several hundred hours, I decided to OH the engine aand raise the HP to 160 and convert to a CS prop.
Most of the requirements have been mentioned but aa few really important things to consider are:
Make sure the engine you have can be converted to a CS prop. The crank must be hollow and the crank plugs will need to be changed.
You didn't mention which plane you were looking at, but on my RV6, it wasn't designed with enough room between the engine and firewall to accept the governor. Van has a kit to place a box there, but it was quite a job to retrofit it. So, make sure you are aware of what needs to be done for the particular plane you are looking at.
MP gauge, oil lines, Prop control, etc installation are also quite a bit of work, so be forewarned.
It was easier for me, since the engine was off for the OH and I did have to purchase the governor housing and gear, too.
The cowling didn't have to be modified since Van basically went to providing a CS cowling and the appropriate spacer for the FP props.
I'd say if you are looking at a newer model RV, there wouldn't be a problem with the cowling, but you never know.
In my case, the combo upgrade turned my RV6 from a typical great RV into a rocket ship with great climb and a quicker top speed. I would do it again, but it was pricey.
Good luck.

Well worth it!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

You will be glad you made the change over and what ever the cost you will get past it. Don't forget, you will recoup most or likely all the costs in fuel savings, not to forget resale value. Regards, Allan:)