rdayton1

Has any one :)out there made a RV 12 wing holder that can be rotated while painting the wing. It would save me some time if someone has done this and would share their plans. If not I have some ideas I will work on. Dick at [email protected]

Yes

Last winter I remember running across a photo (think here on VAF) of a jig a guy made to hold RV-12 wings for painting.

Basically, if memory serves me correctly, the guy made a large tall ?X? cradle style base out of wood and strapped a piece of large diameter, thick walled industrial type PVC pipe into the cradle. The PVC pipe appeared to be a little larger diameter than the height of the spar so the spar could slide into it. The wing could be rolled over by grabbing the end of the spar sticking out beyond the PVC pipe and rotating it ... the PVC pipe was used as a bushing to hold the spar.

For stability and support, the cradle was attached to very long boards (looked like 2X4?s or 2X6?s on edge) that extended on the floor from the base of the cradle under the wing for almost the length of the wing. It was a big and bulky jig to be sure, but looked like it would work just fine.

That was me - here is the thread. http://www.vansairforce.com/community/showthread.php?t=67760

Pics of the wing holders and descriptions of their use are in this thread. There is a link to pics of them in my Facebook album (a public link) in the first post.

The jigs both fit in the back of a pickup, the extender legs were attached with deck screws once in the paint booth. You have to build a plywood sandwich to square up the spars as described.

Last edited: