N223JH

Well Known Member
PAP refers builder to Rotax Service Instructions for filling engine with oil and coolant. I am unable to find any applicably titled SI's on the Rotax site.

This ought to be a straight forward procedure but I would like to see the SI's if they exist. Found nothing regarding initial fill-ups in Owners Manual or Maintenance Manual.

Would appreciate any help in this regard.

Jim
N233TX
awaiting inspection

PAP refers builder to Rotax Service Instructions for filling engine with oil and coolant. I am unable to find any applicably titled SI's on the Rotax site.

This ought to be a straight forward procedure but I would like to see the SI's if they exist. Found nothing regarding initial fill-ups in Owners Manual or Maintenance Manual.

Would appreciate any help in this regard.

Jim
N233TX
awaiting inspection

A paper copy of the oil system purge document was included in the document package that came in the crate with your new engine.

Scott, Are you saying the oil-purge SI is the only applicable SI in regard to initial filling of the engine with oil and coolant?

I am familiar with the "burping" procedure.

My query was in regard to specific reference to Rotax SI's under the heading of oil and coolant filling in the PAP. Just so I am clear: there is no Rotax or Vans guidance beyond this one SI which was thoughtfully included with the documents in the engine crate?

Thanks,

Jim

Scott, Are you saying the oil-purge SI is the only applicable SI in regard to initial filling of the engine with oil and coolant?

I am familiar with the "burping" procedure.

My query was in regard to specific reference to Rotax SI's under the heading of oil and coolant filling in the PAP. Just so I am clear: there is no Rotax or Vans guidance beyond this one SI which was thoughtfully included with the documents in the engine crate?

Thanks,

Jim

Jim,
I am not clear what your question is. The burp procedure is a pre-flight oil level check. The purge procedure is to prime the oil system and purge out all air from the system.
The SI's are issued by Rotax. The paper copy that was in the document package inside the engine crate was put there by Rotax.

They expect you to comply with that S.I at first installation and any time the oil system is opened for maint. or repair (such as disconnecting an oil hose or anything else that could introduce air into the system).

The other pertinent S.I. is one titled Acceptable Fluids (or something similar; I can't remember for sure). The only specific recommendation from Van's related to oil or coolant is that from the two choices given in the S.I., that conventional coolant (that meets the requirements of the S.I.) be used instead of Evans waterless coolant. Other than that you are expected to follow Rotax's recommendations.

The procedure for filling the coolant (I don't remember where it's located, possibly the fluids S.I.) is to fill. Run the engine for a minute or so to clear air from the system. Remove the cap and check the level and add more to top off if needed. Repeat until system checks full after a test run, then fill overflow bottle about half full (between the low and high level marks). Make a mental note of of the level for when you do pre-flight inspections. If the level is lower than typical, you should be inspecting for leaks.

At least one builder here on the forum filled the system but never checked it again after first engine start. He was complaining of over heating problems just running for a short time on the ground and only then discovered the system had never been filled completely.