lewy

Well Known Member
Got a e-mail from rotax owners.com. Cylinders 2 and 3 could have a problem with oil leakage or blow-by. Check the site, a free video explains how to check cylinders and what to do if you are affected.

Got a e-mail from rotax owners.com. Cylinders 2 and 3 could have a problem with oil leakage or blow-by. Check the site, a free video explains how to check cylinders and what to do if you are affected.

rotaxsb030513.jpg

Don, I thought I would add the link to make it easy:

Download Service Bulletin

Applies to high-number engines???

If I read the Rotax SB correctly, it applies ONLY to engine with serial numbers 6779708 and higher (not all of those). My engine (shipped from Vans in 2009) is 6775238.

I believe that most of us who have been flying for a while aren't affected by this SB?? Comment from Van's Scott ot some of out AI's please.

Thanks

Wayne 120241 143WM (down for gear SB)

If you got your engine within the last year, this probably does apply. If you got it before that, it probably does not apply.

However, the only way to know for sure is to check serial number.

The FAA is in process of releasing an A.D. Note against the Rotax 912/914 series as a result of the Rotax S.B. and EASA actions. These are the result of cylinder head manufacturing defects.

http://www.aopa.org/epilot/redir.cfm?adid=22068

In the past, there has been discussion on this Forum about the applicability of Airworthiness Directives to Experimental category airplanes. In the past, I have agreed with the consensus -- that they did not. Recent events - involving the grounding of the Boeing 787 - demonstrate that Experimental category airplanes can indeed be affected by A.D. mandates. Boeing could not fly their airplanes during the grounding - even flight test airplanes - even to explore and run tests affecting the Lithium batteries - without approval by the FAA, on an individual flight basis.

The FAA proposed AD does not mention ULS engines, but the Rotax S.B. does.

Bob Bogash
N737G

For the sake of safety, wether or not an ad applies to particular category is a bit irrelevant. If it applies to your serial number, it should be checked out. I for one would, I want to know if I have a potential engine problem and get it resolved.

Bird