Flyer68

Well Known Member
This question would be for all you guys w/flying RV-12s. How did you know to do the engine purge, using the air pressure, on your Rotax prior to first start??
Where in the instructions did it say this must be done? Also, where did it say to do the test on the hydraulic valve tappets?
I'm looking, but can't find anything.

Thanks guys, I appreciate your input. Truth is I now know about the video on Rotax owners and the Rotax Installation Manual. However, I learned all this too late. I, like others, thought the purge was turn the prop until it burps.....wrong.
I started my engine w/out the proper purge, no oil pressure, shut down. Did a restart, and the same result. That's when I learned of the compressed air purge.
I am working on it now, and hoping there is no damage to the engine.
My original question, which I poorly worded, is where or how did you guys learn of this procedure? I never heard of it until too late.
I rec'd an Operators Manual and the Heavy Maintenance Manual with the engine, but what about the Installatin Manual?? I didn't even know there was one.
Somewhere, this procedure should be printed in large red letters! It could be an expensive mistake.

Thanks again, and keep comments coming.

The document package that is in the crate with each new engine (the plastic bag that contains the log book, Operators Manual, documentation CD, etc.) also has copy of SI-912-018.

In with my engine there was a log book, but no CD. I have everything here and there is no copy of the SI912-018. What form was it in, printed copy?
Maybe I recieved my engine prior to van's putting it in?

In with my engine there was a log book, but no CD. I have everything here and there is no copy of the SI912-018. What form was it in, printed copy?
Maybe I recieved my engine prior to van's putting it in?

Vans doesn't put any documentation into the engine crate. The engine manufacturer (Rotax) does.

Inside every new engine crate I have opened (going back 7 years at least) , has been a plastic bag containing (at a minimum) a CD with all the engine documentation on it, an engine log book, misc. paper documents related to warranty, etc., and a paper copy of SI 912 018.

You might be right Scott. The SI 912 018 could have gotten lost if it were a sheep of paper, but I did not get a CD. A quick survey, here in the airpark, no CD's. Didn't get all the -12's, but a couple. Maybe they don't do it anymore.
I have a builders CD that I bought from Van's?