aerofurb

Well Known Member
Some time back I promised some pictures of the external belt driven 40A alternator that is a Rotax option.

These pictures are of the alternator installed on a Tecnam P2002-JF and should give an idea as to how much space is needed.

dscf4598p.jpg

dscf4609.jpg

dscf4604z.jpg

dscf4603b.jpg

dscf4600j.jpg

dscf4599h.jpg

dscf4611.jpg

dscf4601.jpg

Without having the engine sub-kit as yet I ask in ignorance. My two questions, based on this photo:
1) Is that some type of prop extension on the front end of the tecnam--can't recall seeing that type of structure in the RV-12 photos.
2) Would this alternator add a wart on the RV-12 cowling?--looks like the hoses on the side opposite the alternator are just about as pokey-outty as the alternator.

It looks like it would interfere with the cooling shroud air impute and that the front of the cowl would need some rework, seems like it would be a very involved project to sort out.

Best regards,
Vern

Next time I have the cowlings on the 12 I'll take some shots from similar angles for comparison.

Jerry,is there any chance you may look at adding the alternator at a latter stage? It looks like a lot of extra work.

Thanks

Julian 120316

Last edited:
What is the red and black thing bolted to the gear reducer on the aft side - that has one hose coming out of the top?

Never mind - it's a vacuum pump. We don't have one one the RV-12. Wouldn't it be nice if there was a small alternator that would be driven from that attachment?

Wondering about that alternator myself

That (very) expensive add-on coaxial pancake alternator looks nice--but--same question--for the RV-12 installation, is there any room between the engine and firewall to slide one of these units in? (I also, until tomorrow, do not have my engine kit, so I'm operating in excess-display-of-ignorance mode).

Wow - $3,575! To save readers trouble, this is a 26 amp alternator that bolts onto the BACK of the engine coaxially with the existing one (and additionally to it - not replacing it). Looks like it replaces the black cone-shaped cover. It has its own regulator so integrating the two power sources would be an interesting task...

Okay, could the first alternator be rotated to another position where there may be less problems to correct.

Julian

Alternators are available for connection to where the vacuum pump is on this installation. Pitot tube (maybe) and cylinder shroud would have to be modified on RV-12. Did I or did I not see something about a new pitot tube location with the Skyview package?

Last edited:
What you probably saw was that some of us are interested in using the AOA function of the Skyview, and therefore have to put the Dynon Pitot/AOA in the wing. No big deal really.

Pitot clarifications:
1. The pitot tube from the prop hub runs all the way back to the tailcone for the Skyview. For partially built models, that existing static line you ran from the tail to the instrument panel will be repurposed.
2. Adding AOA does not require the combination Dynon wing-mount pitot/AOA tube. All you have to add is wing-mounted AOA tube per this thread - you can retain the pitot tube in the nose, and at a parts count of less than $20. You just have one piece of quick-disconnect tubing when you remove the wing: http://www.vansairforce.com/community/showthread.php?t=34040
3. At the site mentioned earlier in this thread by Samsulli they talk about how much better their coaxial alternator is compared to others that attach where that vacuum pump is - but I haven't yet found a link to those types. Gloomy - some links?

We won't be attempting to fit the Rotax belt driven (45A) alternator on our 12. As I've mentioned, so far the standard integral alternator seems to be coping with our dual SkyView etc setup.

We do have the external alternator on the Tecnam P2006T twin and on the Night/VFR spec P2002-JF single. It isn't a cheap option on the P2002 - probably in excess of USD$1500....

Perhaps B&C could produce a standby alternator to be driven off the gearbox - where the vac pump is mounted on the P2002-JF in the photos.

Why mess with perfection.

If you have to change it then this is the way to go. :pIt will fit under the cowl, all you have to do is modify the cylinder cooling cowl.
IMAG0173.jpg

IMAG0172.jpg

This is not on my plane. It was on another rotax I saw while walking through another local maintenance facility
Numbers on it a 18504-6220 & 10 02 11-1680 DENSO for you google guys.

Heat is the enemy

The limiting factor of the alternator is heat. If the alternator can be kept cool, it can continuously operate at its rated capacity or perhaps even a little more. Getting the most out of the existing alternator will be easier and will weigh less than installing another alternator. The challenge is determining the maximum operating temperature and installing a temperature probe to make sure that limits are not exceeded. And of course the regulator needs to be kept cool too.
Joe Gores