Jesse

Well Known Member
I wonder who will be the first to install a Rotax 915is in an RV, and what model it will be. I'm thinking its a perfect match for the -9/A. 135HP maintainable to 15,000 feet. I think it would work in any of the 2-seaters except the -12 or -14.

Last edited:
That's a neat little package. If Rotax weight info is accurate, it's about 100 lb. lighter than an IO-320, so for a -9 or -9A you'd really have to extend the nose, fit the Mother of All Crush Rings, go with a depleted uranium spinner, etc. for it to balance. My IO-320 -9A is tail heavy-ish with two up and full baggage already.

Not sure what the advantage would be. Aside from probable CG issues (the info I read was that it's significantly lighter than a 4 cyl Lyc.) and lack of availability (it won't be available until 2017), I have to wonder about cost.

I don't know who will be first, but it won't be me :)

I've given serious consideration to going down that route in a couple of years time, but the figures I've heard bandied about for cost are staggering. Upwards of $40,000USD was one rumour, and if you price the 914 at a little over $30,000USD that sounds somewhat consistent.

IT would be the perfect match for a -9 if you could get it to balance, and I've no doubt it would be doable, but is the weight saving & performance worth the cost?

Time will tell.

There is a 915is RV9 registered to Vans Inc... they said they abandoned the project because of W&B, the motor would have to be forward mounted too far to make sense... the RV9 was indeed the best fit, but still doesn't workout they said... it will not happen