kritsher

Well Known Member
As I get to work on my -12 empennage, I figure I better order the next kit right away, since there's an 11 week lead time.

I just called Van's and was told that it doesn't matter whether I do the wings or the fuse next. I'm thinking about doing the fuse (because it seems like it'd be more fun - plus less cash outlay) but I forgot to ask how much space is needed to assemble the fuse kit.

Can anyone out there give me approximate dimensions of their fuse assembly?

thanks!

Fuse Kit dimensions...

Can anyone out there give me approximate dimensions of their fuse assembly?

thanks!

Hi Ken,
The completed fuselage kit looks about like this and is 6'-11" long,
by 3'-8" wide, by 3'-3" high.
[url=http://tonytessitore.smugmug.com/RV-12-Project-N577RV/RV-12-Fuselage/8010094_YTLQe#620855420_wMbfn-A-LB][/URL]
If you have access to AutoCAD, there is a dwg file available somewhere on Van's website which is a 3-view of the RV-12. You can get dimensional data from it, if you have AutoCAD. I have the dwg downloaded and if you can't find it I could email you a copy.
Tony

As I get to work on my -12 empennage, I figure I better order the next kit right away, since there's an 11 week lead time.

I just called Van's and was told that it doesn't matter whether I do the wings or the fuse next.

Who were you talking too? This is not correct.
Their is a specific reason that the construction manual instructs you to build the wings first. During construction of the fuselage you are instructed to test fit some parts to the already built wings. It would be pretty hard to do that if you don't have any.

Thanks

Thanks for the info Tony. Scott, I didn't catch the name of the guy I talked to but he said for the -12 it didn't matter. I'll call them back tomorrow and let you know what I find out.

Dick Van himself said this to my build group when we met him about ordering our next kit a few weeks ago. The order doesn't matter for the 12 according to him.

If lead times/down times are a factor, another thing you might consider is that the wing kit goes very fast. We built both wings in a month, the fuselage took about three months.

Dick Van himself said this to my build group when we met him about ordering our next kit a few weeks ago. The order doesn't matter for the 12 according to him.

He is half correct.

There are some parts in the wing kit and the fuselage kit that require a rather precise fit between the two. The construction manual spells out doing this check by fitting the related fuselage parts on to the already built wing parts. If you build the fuselage first and you happen to have parts that do not have a close fit (it is possible because of manufacturing tolerances, etc), or they have a slight interference, it will then be impossible to make adjustments that will allow of the level of precision intended.

So, it is correct that you can build the fuselage first...if you are willing to gamble on the fit of these parts.

Side note...it is interesting to me that RV builders will take it on faith that Van's engineering department has properly designed a critical structural member such as the wing spar, but then decide that if the construction manual (written by the same engineering department) says to do something specific in the construction sequence, that it isn't important...sigh

"It absolutely does matter!"

...so says Ken at Van's. Scott, you are absolutely correct. There are parts buried deep within the fuselage that need to be test fit with the wings and which cannot be modified after the fuse is together. While some people have built the fuse first, they had to go on faith that the parts would fit correctly. I know of at least one person who did this and got lucky, but I'm not going to take the chance. I'm ordering my wing kit next.

The reason that both Ken and Dick were able to build the fuse first (as described in the RVator) is that they have access to the factory and were able to take parts to their shops for the test fitting.

Building wings last

It might be desirable for some builders with limited storage space to build the fuselage before the wings. The wings can be built in a relatively short time period, whereas the fuselage along with canopy, engine and avionics and finish kit will take much longer.
The wing parts that need to be matched to the fuselage parts are W-1208C-L, W-1208C-R, and two each of W-1207B and W-1208B. A person who needs to build the wings last could call Van's, discuss the feasibility of building the wings last, and order the above parts. The total cost of the RV-12 kit should be the same provided that the above parts are not duplicated when the wing kit is ordered.
I do not recommend building the fuselage first unless the fuselage receptacles are match-fitted to the mating wing parts.
Joe