Ron RV8

Well Known Member
I'm just finishing up drilling my fuselage and am trying to think ahead to other items which would be easier to make provision for at this time. I would like to install a second stainless airbox in a similar location on the right side of the firewall with scat to an eyeball on the inside corner of the side baggage to blow to the back seat.

I am considering an IO-375 vertical induction with Catto 3 blade prop which with the difference in weight (from a Hartzell) leads me to think that I may be able to mount the battery on the firewall as well. I realize that the -8 is nose heavy with the Hartzell but the Catto should give me some weight tradeoff to move the battery ahead shortening battery leads etc...

Without the engine, mount, and other bits and pieces it's difficult to visualize how things might fit. My question... is there room to do this? Has anyone done something similar? A few pictures would be much appreciated!!!

I am also wondering if a 4 pipe exhaust with two, double heat muffs would work with this configuration, or will it be necessary to go to mufflers to get sufficient heat? We're in the mountains at 10,000 plus for most of our flights.

Thanks

Ron Townson
Summerland BC