PZiegler

I'm New Here
Hey, guys. New here and I need some advice. I have decided to start my search for a 6a, 7a or 9a. I found a plane that checks most of my boxes. Glass panel, clean plane. However with review of the log books, I have found that the engine has a total time of 5,700 hours that was overhauled in 2011 and put into service in 2019. It now has 330 hours since overhaul. Does this scare anyone to buy a newer plane with an engine that has almost 6,000 hours total time in its life. I appreciate any advice. Thanks, Pete

Pete, welcome to VAF "D

The 6khrs is not a big deal IF the overhaul was done at a reputable shop that 1. Knew the total time, and 2. followed/addressed all the items that the time dictated, and if needed, 3. Pickled it for long term storage.

A backyard "overhaul" on the other hand might be a bit of a red flag.

Last edited:
I agree with Mike. And absolutely get a good pre-buy inspection from somebody who knows RV's. When your emotions come into play, it's hard to walk away from a plane that gets you all lathered up.

There are some good resources out there that can help familiarize you with what to look for, even when someone else is doing the inspection. It's never too early to start learning about RV's. Vic Syracuse has several good books that are easy reading, including one on pre-buy inspections. While I don't have that specific book, I do have two of his other books--they are excellent resources with lots of photos.

Hey, guys. New here and I need some advice. I have decided to start my search for a 6a, 7a or 9a. I found a plane that checks most of my boxes. Glass panel, clean plane. However with review of the log books, I have found that the engine has a total time of 5,700 hours that was overhauled in 2011 and put into service in 2019. It now has 330 hours since overhaul. Does this scare anyone to buy a newer plane with an engine that has almost 6,000 hours total time in its life. I appreciate any advice. Thanks, Pete
If I understand correctly, the engine sat unused for 8 years after overhaul and then was put into service?

Spend the money.....get a prebuy........come away with the knowledge that the airplane is as safe as can be. A condition inspection signature is a bonus.

I'll tell you my horror story:
The airplane was well built but the nosegear leg bulletin was not *properly* complied with. The bulletin was signed for by the owner and an IA. The gear cracked on landing and resulted in a prop strike. Log books lie. Don't believe a word you're told. Verify every Van's bulletin, and Lycoming AD with your own eyes. Do that independent of anybody else's work. That's short of actually tearing the engine down. Oil analysis is a must. Cutting a oil filter open in front of you is a must. Was the filter with spirits to remove collect any metal. Make your decisions then. Until you see those, the engine is a running core. My engine was also making metal too. The seller showed me a clean set of filter pleats when I asked about previous filter cuts. I like to think my seller just didn't know. He *seemed* like such a nice guy.

In the two year period that I've owned my RV, I've had to remove the wings for transport, remove the engine twice, repair a prop strike, buy a prop, gear leg, and cowl etc.

You dont want to buy the wrong plane.