Ed_Wischmeyer

Well Known Member
Plan is to fly from northern Michigan (near Traverse City) toward Savannah, leaving Saturday afternoon some time, after a busy and probably stressful morning. While I'd like to get across the mountains on Saturday and have a quick rest of the trip on Sunday, that's not realistic. So, weather permitting, the plan is to do just one leg in the RV-8 on Saturday. That puts me in the vicinity of southern Ohio / northern Kentucky.

Anybody have any favorite overnight stops? Cheap gas, motel that I can get to without renting a car, all that good stuff?

thanks in advance,

Ed Wischmeyer

Suggestions

I fly that way a LOT.

Friends have used Chattanooga at KCHA and loved the fbo and stay over

I have fueled at KSMD Smith just north of Fort Wayne good gas great stop, hotels etc nearby, crew car etc if thats as for as you wish to go one night.
Big Sandy Regional KSJS is another good fuel stop
Cynthiana Harrison K0I8 Kentucky has 5.19 gas and great new pump, friendly people.
Shelby, North Carolina KEHO is BEAUTIFUL facility for good fuel and leg stretch.
Barnwell KBNL is one i have not used but has great Pireps for good fuel and friendly
KMKJ Mountain Empire in Virginia is one of our favourites. Very nice airport, great fuel, VERY friendly gas attendant with cash discounts. Free crew car to go get lunch at the amish deli, nice experience.
KLEX Lexington we just staid at last friday. Tac Air, while it cost $15 fee, was the BEST FBO experience ever. Just awesome. They booked us their great rate at the nearby Hilton and was a PERFECT one nighter. Walk to the pub and dinner, free shuttle to hotel, great rate and awesome hotel with free breakfast. We did not buy fuel there, we stopped short and fueled cheaper so the $15 fee was not unexpected.

PM me or email if you want more info. I always plan my trips using foreflight with the 100ll prices showing, then look up "comments" on foreflights for the target airports, then call the fbos as they often have "special rates" on hotels better than i can find online. Just what works for us, enjoy your travels.

I have used Knoxville Island KDKX and was very happy overnighting at nearby marriott. Anywhere in the the Carolinas, kentucky, georgia, north florida or west virginia has always been awesome. Great little airports, great people and good meals, hotels and rates.

I have

Last edited:
Knoxville Downtown it was

And a friendly city-run FBO. Holiday inn now has the only shuttle service. Came home over the lower hills near Asheville. Stopped for gas at KAQX/88J that was real cheap.

Last edited: