WingsOnWheels

Well Known Member
I have 4 flares I need to make is 1/4" 0.030 wall 304 SS. The information for the rolo-flair says that SS is a no-go. I would like to avoid buying another $$ tool just for these 4 flares. Has anyone tried this on SS? Did it destroy your tool?

I have SS steel lines on my biplane and used a ROLO-FLAIR on them. But I don't think they were .030 wall. I think they were .016. worked fine and didn't damage the tool.

Brian

Thanks for the input! I'll give it a try and see what happens. Worst case I damage the cone. If that happens, I can probably buy a replacement cone without replacing the whole tool.

Last edited:
Use a Little Lube on the Mandrel

Stainless is a bit abrasive. Try a little Boelube on the tool, or if you don't have that, soften up a bar of soap and smear a little on. A form of soap is used every day in the process of cold forging or extruding of steel to prevent galling of tools.
Terry, CFI

Works Fine

I used my Rolo Flare to flare some .030" wall 1/4" stainless for my brake lines. Worked fine with no issues. A drop of boelube on the end works wonders.

I made my SS lines last night, the rolo-flare did a great job on the 1/4" line. Probably not the best tool choice for a professional doing it all the time (likely to wear out faster), but fine for us amatures.

Wow, this is great! I am in need of two small 1/4" tubes FWF and would much rather use stainless than aluminum. I was contemplating buying yet another expensive flaring tool (the Ridgid) because I had trouble finding someone locally who had one I could borrow. Great timing - thank you for posting!