jlfernan

Well Known Member
How did you guys roll your wings after riveting on the bottom skin? The book says to use two assistants to keep the loose skins from creasing. What's to keep me from using clecoes to hold the skins while the girlfriend and I roll it? Am I missing something?

I did one alone (would not recommend it). I got lucky and had no damage. On the second I used a helper and the idiot creased my aft spar.

Use String

This method worked great for me: I ran some nylon string through the holes on the outer edge of the skins at two locations per each skin. The string was then tied off on the ribs after pulling the strings tight enough to slightly pull the skins downward thus keeping them under a slight tension and preventing the skins from flopping around. With the help of another person, the wings were walked out of the shop to keep them away from anything that could get in the way, then slowly and carefully rotated, walked back into the shop and placed on the bench. No need for a third person.

John
www.dogaviation.com
RV-12 empennage and wings completed
Beginning fuselage
Dues paid until late summer

I did it with one helper. It was a bit nerve wracking, a second helper would perhaps have made it easier, but I don't think you're missing anything - you and your girlfriend can do it.