flyingj

(note, I previously asked this question in general discussion, I've closed that thread and re-started it here)

I have an old RV3 kit and the original builder damaged the tail belly skin. This is part f-325 (like f-426 on an RV4). It's a little under 7' long. As many of you know, these are tapered, and have curved bends for the lower corners of the fuselage. Additionally, the curve itself has a larger radius at the forward bulkhead/former and smaller radius at the rear.

What techniques and tools are required to make this skin? Can this be done with a regular sheet metal brake? Do I need to find an 8' slip roller? (is there such a thing?) Press Brake?

also, thanks to Jerry Cochran who replied to my original post. I have most of the hand tools he suggested, (have had for years) and am a member of eaa 42, and will ask around there as well, although I suspect very few RV builders have ever made this part from scratch.

Thanks
Jim Frisby
Palmer AK

Last edited:
I've never done this, but since I've got an RV-3B fuselage kit I've at least seen the part.

If you can find a roller and some one experienced in forming it that would be a good way to go. Otherwise -

I'd try to keep the part untrimmed for now. Get a 3" black iron pipe that's longer than the metal and anchor it securely to something. Get some 2x4 or 4x4 pieces and clamp these to the metal on both sides of the bend-to-be. Secure the wood on one side of the bend to something secure.

Now put some sort of bar like a 3/4" black iron pipe on both ends of the wood and use that as a lever to make the bend. Remember that you'll have to allow for spring-back.

I'd expect that this will take multiple attempts to get right. It might be possible to arrange to buy a new part from Van's and piggy-back on someone else's shipment to save shipping - but it might very well marginally be able to go on UPS. Van's could advise you.

Dave