RV7Factory

Chief Obfuscation Officer
I should probably bring this issue to the attention of Stephen Hawking, as I suspect there is some strange space-time dark-matter thing affecting my garage. I say this because with the passage of time my garage seems to be getting smaller and smaller.

All joking aside, as airlpane parts grow in quantity and size, and my daughter's collection of toddler-mobility devices expands, I find myself in a situation where working space is at a premium. With this in mind I am considering the construction of some sort of rolling fuselage cart, with storage underneath, that can be moved around the garage as needed.

I have some ideas, but did anybody build anything similar and have pictures they can share?

I seem to recall seeing a picture here on VAF where someone had a cart on wheels that held the fuselage (upright), with a support for aft fuse built in, but I can't remember in which thread I saw it.

Last edited:
ShowPlanes has a neat one on their "current projects" page, click on the RV 10, scroll down.

Although a 10 has different spars, you should be able to get some ideas from it.

Look closely, it is even dual height.

Maybe Me, Brad.

...but quite possibly not.

I moved my -6 fuse around for a long time on a saw horse on locking wheels. We could put the wife's car in after each work session. Yes, that's the canopy (with engine mount under it) hanging from the roof on the lumber from the finish kit. <g>.

Pic:
FuseRolledOutInGarage.jpg

http://www.vansairforce.net/construction/FuseRolledOutInGarage.jpg

I have a similar set up as Doug had...'cept mine is shorter so that the cockpit rail is at waist height. So far no complaints.

I can get a pic for you if you want.

Joe

I found the picture I was thinking of. It is Nate Benson's (cln1owner)...

200905260906_90_0_m.jpg

Edit: Turns out Nate's cart was previously Steve Moore's (alpinelakespilot2000). Steve and Nate, please check your PM's. :)

Last edited:
I found the picture I was thinking of. It is Nate Benson's (cln1owner)...

200905260906_90_0_m.jpg

Edit: Turns out Nate's cart was previously Steve Moore's (alpinelakespilot2000). Steve and Nate, please check your PM's. :)
Actually, this is Bill Repucci's idea and is depicted on his website. Shamelessly copied. That's why I couldn't charge Nate when I gave it to him!:D

Seriously, this worked FANTASTICALLY all the way up to the point I put the gear on. Highly recommended.

Ha! I knew I had seen it somewhere before!

Thanks Nate, Steve, and Bill!!!! Which one of you wants the royalty check? ;)

In case anyone is interested, Bill's write-up can be found here.

How bout this.

if your garage is affected by a strange space-time dark-matter thing.

Why not make the Fuselage stationary and move the garage around it.:rolleyes:

Another approach

I made two heavy duty saw horses out of 2x8s and carpet to support the fuselage and I sat the horses on a sheet of 3/4"X4'X8" good quality plywood. For mobility I placed desk/furniture moving platforms with casters (available from on of the local warehouse hardware stores (HomeBase is where I bought mine - now gone) under the plywood. When rigging, installing the landing gear, etc., I raised the plywood base to level the reference plane (canopy deck in our RV-6A) with 4 jacks bought from the local auto parts store. This system was faultless for me over the multiyear build period in my half of the garage.

Bob Axsom

Actually, this is Bill Repucci's idea and is depicted on his website. Shamelessly copied. That's why I couldn't charge Nate when I gave it to him!:D

Seriously, this worked FANTASTICALLY all the way up to the point I put the gear on. Highly recommended.
And I gave mine to RV-7 builder Tim Bolton. All I charged him was a ride in his -7 when he finishes it.

Don't forget to use a smaller ratchet strap to hold the tail down. Sometimes, it will want to tip forward when you are working inside the fuselage.

Last edited: