prkaye

Well Known Member
I'm basically at the place in the manual that says "Rolling the Canoe"... just some rivets on the underside to finish up and should have the "Canoe rolled" this week. From reading other builders reports of getting to this point, it feels like a significant milestone.
Am I half-way done yet?

Sort of. Think of rolling the canoe as...half way to being half way done

Yikes... so 1/4.... it took me 1.5 years to get to this point, meaning at this rate i won't be flying for another 4.5 years :(

I had to go check this out, and I add the disclaimer that I'm not the fastest builder...

I started in July 02 on the HS, did the empenage and wings, started fuselage and rolled the canoe in April 05.

OK, that's 33 months.

From then till now, and I'm wrapping up before taking my -7 to the airport:

I have another 33 months since the flip, which includes finishing out the upper fuselage, panel, wiring, canopy, cowling, and engine install. Oh, and there's about 3 months off due to a relocation.

OK, it's about 1/2 way there.

40%

I rolled my -9A about 2 years ago. I'm 1/2 way done with the engine baffling now.
The end is near,
Steve

Not done yet so this is only a partially educated guess...

From looking at the people who religiously count hours and post it on their websites, I would say that after you get up to the point in the book where they tell you to mount the wings, your about 1/2 there on the man hours required.

Actual calendar time depends mostly on you!

Some people just have an easier time dealing with things like wiring, the cowling and canopy. For others, it is a nightmare they will never wish to relive.

Ditto, if you build in sequence of the manual when you fit the wings the first time you are +/- 50% there. So tipping canoe is +/- 40%.

Regards
Rudi

My build took 3.5 years. Flipped the fuselage at 1.5 years. I think with flipping the fuse you are halfway done with the airframe.

Keep at it. You'll get there.

It depends on how much you know about wiring, FWF, and how meticulous you are about details.

You might be 1/2 way in terms of actual build hours, but if you have to stop and learn wiring and engine installation (like me), it will take substantially longer on calendar time. It took me 1.5 years to flip the canoe (all slow build), but it's been over 1.5 years since then, much of that time spent getting the canopy as perfect as possible, installing all the fuselage systems, and mating the wings. Thus, after 3 years and about 1800 hours of actual shop time, the airframe is complete (except) fwd top skin and I've just finished cutting the panel. Much of that calendar time was also spent learning about how electricity works. I still have all wiring to actually do, FWF, and cowl fitting. I'm anticipating another solid year of work, or about 600 hours of work, if I'm lucky.

There are some days when I look back longingly at how fast and easy the riveting went!:) Hope this helps you plan out your next couple years... and budget! :eek:

Last edited:
I'm basically at the place in the manual that says "Rolling the Canoe"... just some rivets on the underside to finish up and should have the "Canoe rolled" this week. From reading other builders reports of getting to this point, it feels like a significant milestone.
Am I half-way done yet?

You just finished the easy part. But it gets more fun from here on out.

And then there's the school of thought that observes that you will never be finished. There's always another thing to be done. But I'd guess you're about halfway to your first flight, if that's any consolation...;)

They got it right; it depends on you. And yes, the fun starts now. If you thrive on new things, you may be 1/2 way there. If you hate fiberglass and wiring (and that's quite a few of us) you aren't that close. Also, it depends on whether you plan on flying a finished airplane, or going with naked interior and bare aluminum. If you plan on deviating from the plans, however slightly, it can slow you down a bunch.

The good points--you now have something that looks like an airplane. The downside--you will put in lots of work and not really see much change. Never give up!!

Bob Kelly