I'm running roller rockers on my O-320 since 1995. No problems. Unfortunately I don't think the ones I have are avialable any longer.

I just got out the info. They are 7075-T6 aluminum billet with needle bearings for rocker shaft. They were made by Ken Hatfield in Troutdale, OR. The phone number I have is 503-666-5814 (of course that's a 1994 number).

Thanks again for the info. I have made some in the past for airboats. Thats what the customer told me they were for, so he said. I was curious of the longevity of aluminum roller rocker arms on motor that sees 400 degs. operating temp. Apparently pretty good. Have you seen increased life in your valve guides with the installation of roller rockers?

Jeffrey Montgomery
[email protected]

I've had virtually no play in valve guides. I wouldn't worry about aluminum rocker arms. They don't get nearly as hot as the aluminum pistons.

Is Harland Sharp considering making Lycoming roller rockers as a production item? I've seen some examples of your rockers on small block Fords, nice parts. I'd be interested down the road when it's time for an engine for my RV-7.

For anyone else who may be curious, http://www.harlandsharp.com/

Well, Harland is not interested, too much liability. I am interested. I have been with Harland for 15 yrs. and PPL 2 years ago. The owner of Harland does give me his blessing. You or anyone else can contact me [email protected]

Jeffrey Montgomery

0-320-H2AD engines were built with Ford stamped rocker arms from 351Cs. I've got a pair of Ford Motorsport roller rockers for non-adjustable valve train I've test fitted to one of my cylinders. So far it seems to fit well. When I get my cyls. back from o/haul and installed on my case I'll be able to ck travel while turning the engine over-valve cover clearance and geometry will need to be ckd. I hope they work out-mainly to reduce side loads on the valve stems but also for the cool factor! I'll have to make some clear plastic valve covers for airshow display purposes! Greg RV9A N4603X (res)

It is funny you say that. We have modified some of our sbf rockers in the past to fit some sort of lycoming for a airboat of course. I am looking for the notes on that this morning. The 320E2D is a shaft system. Is the 320 that you mentioned stud style?

Jeffrey

It is funny you say that. We have in the past modified our sbf rocker to fit some sort of lycoming for an airboat of course. The 320E2D is a shaft style rocker system. Is the 320 that you mention stud or pedestal style?

Jeffrey

Greg,

Did you have to change your pushrods over to do that? I know that the 360 uses a 7/16 pushrod and the ratio of the rocker is 1.5:1 roughly. The Ford rocker is 1.6:1 and has a 5/16 dia. (.1875 radius pushrod) If my knowledge of the ratios is true with the lyc. than kuddos with the increased ratio. Expect more hp. roughly 15. If the pushrod dia. is 7/16 it is not going to match the socket of the sbf Ford rocker plus the increased ratio is going to make the pushrod hit the pushrod tube. Let me know your thoughts.

Jeffrey

The H2AD valve arrangement is unique to the "76" Lycoming engines in that it uses a pedestal mount and stud for rocker arm retention. Also the ratio is the same as the stamped 351C rocker at 1.73/1. I'll have to ck the pushrod tip ball size to make sure it fits the socket. An added benefit of the "barrel" style lifters is an increase in the amount of oil delivered to the top end-the oil return tubes are easily twice the size of other Lycs. Greg

Yes, you are correct the cleveland is 1.73 and the windsor is 1.6. The rockers that we modified were the windsor style 1.6.

How does that rocker fit under the covers?

If your pushrod doesn't fit let me know I have made up 7/16 harden pushrod seats that I can put in my cleveland rocker if interested. I also have pedestals that will fit that will fit the rocker. You may have to mod. pushrod length.

I was never a big fan of the half-moon pedestal. Is there any room for a dowel pin to tie the rockers together? I use the dowel pin in a lot of different applications such as the LS1, Dodge Magnums, and belief it or not Kohler Commands. You gotta love lawn mower racing.

Jeffrey