jthocker

Well Known Member
I just completed my smoke system yesterday. Due to my friend Ken Rieder's 55 gal. drum of corvus/canopus/concrete form oil being empty i decided to test with some Jet-A. I put about a half gallon in the tank and verified the pump and solenoid were working, fired up the engine, turned on the pump, hit the stick switch and made some smoke. Cool! Cowled it back up and headed down to KLUK to meet up with "Greese","Joker","Wizz",and "Zinnie" for a 5 ship. In the air the Jet-A made some really good smoke.
Later after stealing some of "Greese's" smoke oil and testing it in the air I found that it makes REALLY GOOD SMOKE, with superior "Hang Time" to the Jet-A.
The dilemma now is, Jet-A = no belly residue and little hang time. Or Expensive smoke oil, great hang time, nasty belly.

I'd be interested in "Kahuna"s thoughts on mixtures/concoctions.

For anybody that has, or is building an 8, if you don't put a smoke system in that forward baggage compartment you are really missing out. It is so easy to do it's not funny.
If anyone's interested I'll compile a list of components and post pix of the system. Otherwise I'd say just get the "Smoking Airplanes.com" system and be done with it.

Here's a pic of the results.

Hey Larry
Maybe I should dispense with building and flying RV's as a hobby, and move to Chile and build a huge "Reed Sailboat" and sail it to Easter Island.
That would have the least environmental impact and keep me occupied for the next 10 years.

Hey Larry
Maybe I should dispense with building and flying RV's as a hobby, and move to Chile and build a huge "Reed Sailboat" and sail it to Easter Island.
That would have the least environmental impact and keep me occupied for the next 10 years.

No need for that, I just asked a question. You might want to read the below link about using jet fuel for smoke. One spark and you are a bomb. ;)

http://www.smokingairplanes.com/smokingairplanes_smokesystem_smokeoil.htm

Also, using flammable liquids is not only dangerous to you, it is dangerous to those "who choose not to smoke". Inhaling unburned fuel vapors is dangerous. There are better, safer products to use that are certainly better for the environment than jet A.

Last edited:
Cost of smoking

Jeff
I probably have around 300 bucks in the system.
60 for a pump 60 PSI 4.5 AMP .... NORTHERN HYDRAULIC
40 for a 3.5 gal. RV water tank.... Marine Supply
80 for a firesleeved teflon hose.... Local Hydraulic hose shop
65 for a solenoid valve..... Aircraft Spruce
The rest in switch,wire, pickup and vent hoses and fittings

The hardest part was coordinating with a guy to Tig weld
a fitting on the exhaust to accept a steel #4 AN elbow.
Underneath that elbow and inside the welded fitting I drilled
(3) holes in the exhaust to serve as my injectors. I used a #57 drill bit for
these holes.

IF I HAD KNOWN SMOKING WAS GOING TO BE THIS FUN I WOULD HAVE TAKEN IT UP A LONG TIME AGO!

Smoke System Oil

Some of the Piet folks use Baby Oil that they buy in bulk from Sam's Club. It smells good, is cheap and it works!

Bob Hassel
Santa Fe, NM

Hoping to get to LOE this weekend to drool over a 10!

Smoke Components

I took a few pic's of my smoke system today.
The first is a view looking down into the fwd. baggage well.

The next is the hose from the bulkhead fitting to exhaust

A closeup of the welded on fitting.

The last pic shows the vent line exiting next to the firesleeved smoke oil line. It makes it's way over to the breather tube and follows it down to dump onto the exhaust pipe(This will allow any of the Jet-A vapors to make their way down to the hot exhaust and spontaneously ignite.)

This is a pic of the instrument panel and the lights associated with the smoke system.

On the right of the panel at the bottom are 2 switches. The left switch is for turning on the smoke pump. It has an associated amber light labeled "Smoke Armed". The pump cycles on and off to maintain 60 psi.
Inline between the pump outlet and the firewall bulkhead fitting is a "primer solenoid valve". That valve is controlled by the pinky button on my "Infinity Stick", and the position of the valve is monitored by a green "Smoke On" light on the far left of the panel.
The system works great.

What can't be seen in the top view is the external pickup line. I used an AN842 hose elbow screwed and prosealed into the aft side of the tank at the bottom, 3/8 in. hose or tube from there up into the pump inlet.
The tank vents via an AN 823-4D elbow screwed and prosealed into the top of the tank, from there to the firewall bulkhead with braided hose(overkill I know, but I had it).

The tank threaded fittings have been blocked by PVC fittings from Home Depot except for the tank fill cap. The cap is made from PVC 1-1/2 in. threaded adapter and a cap glued to it. I used a grinder to make grooves for extra gripping. I also found an O-ring to help seal the oil in.

Hope this is helpful to anyone wishing to make smoking holes in the SKY!

By the way after totaling up all the AN fittings I used(40 bucks), the cost is probably closer to 400 dollars, and thats with free welding.

The smoking airplanes system might be a better choice.

But if you must "Roll your own", heres some links to the expensive items.

Smoke Tank

http://www.defender.com/product.jsp?path=-1|51|87367|315193&id=939855

Smoke pump

http://www.northerntool.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/product_6970_357081_357081

Solenoid valve

http://www.aircraftspruce.com/catalog/appages/elsolprimer.php

In the words of Cincinnati's beloved Marge Schott---

"Smoke'm if you Gott'em Honey"

Is pump pressure critical?

I would like to cobble up a smoke system, and the info you have provided is very helpful!

I have a Holley electric fuel pump PN 12-802 (for a race car) laying around the hanger unused, and I was thinking about using it for a smoke system. But, the Holley spec sheet says it is internally preset to 14 PSI, I notice yours is 60 PSI... Would 14 PSI work, do you think? Would I need to have different size orifices to inject the smoke oil into the exhaust? The flow rate is more than adequate (somewhere between 70 and 110 GPM at this pressure)....

Thanks,

I have a Holley electric fuel pump PN 12-802 (for a race car) laying around the hanger unused, and I was thinking about using it for a smoke system. But, the Holley spec sheet says it is internally preset to 14 PSI, I notice yours is 60 PSI... Would 14 PSI work, do you think? Would I need to have different size orifices to inject the smoke oil into the exhaust? The flow rate is more than adequate (somewhere between 70 and 110 GPM at this pressure)....

Thanks,

I have seen smoke systems on Pitts Specials that used a mechanical fuel pump for the smoke oil (the same fuel pump that is on our RV's). The pressure is close to what your electric pump is set for. It seemed to work just fine, and was reliable.
Good luck!

Hey Jon!
How ya doin?
DO NOT use jet A in your smoke system! It may work but if the nozzle ever breaks or the fuel is otherwise vaporized and his the exhaust, you will put ou a really neat trail of flames!
I dont think you want that. Ask me how I know.
Nordo

Small technicality

No need for that, I just asked a question. You might want to read the below link about using jet fuel for smoke. One spark and you are a bomb. ;)

http://www.smokingairplanes.com/smokingairplanes_smokesystem_smokeoil.htm

Also, using flammable liquids is not only dangerous to you, it is dangerous to those "who choose not to smoke". Inhaling unburned fuel vapors is dangerous. There are better, safer products to use that are certainly better for the environment than jet A.

but I believe Jet A is the same as #1 fuel oil...which has a closed cup flash point of 100F...in other words technically Jet A is combustible but not flammable.

The question is..is it combustible enough to catch fire in an exhaust pipe?...It looks like it may well be.

Frank

smoke injection nozzle

Does anybody know what the smokingairplanes.com guys use for nozzles? I like the idea of not having to weld a bung on my vettermans...as a matter of fact, I just spoke with the vetterman folks and they recommend against it.

If anybody knows where I can get the clamp on type of injector nozzle, I'd appreciate some details.

smoke nozzle source

I got mine from Earle Parks at Parks Industries (806) 622-0602. They do work on T-34's. They are not cheap. If memory servers mine cost about $45each. I have had mine for about 3 years now.

but I believe Jet A is the same as #1 fuel oil...which has a closed cup flash point of 100F...in other words technically Jet A is combustible but not flammable.

The question is..is it combustible enough to catch fire in an exhaust pipe?...It looks like it may well be.

Frank

If you are running your engine correctly, there will not be enough oxygen in the exhaust to burn the Jet-A. Now if the hose breaks and you pump the Jet-A into the engine compartment with all that cooling air, you WILL have a fire.

Does anybody know what the smokingairplanes.com guys use for nozzles? I like the idea of not having to weld a bung on my vettermans...as a matter of fact, I just spoke with the vetterman folks and they recommend against it.

If anybody knows where I can get the clamp on type of injector nozzle, I'd appreciate some details.

Ask John at SmokingAirplanes.com. I know he will sell replacement nozzles. I will ask him tomorrow night if I remember.

I am down for engine rebuild and will be replacing the lines between the firewall and nozzles with the installation of the new exhaust system. Yes I have two nozzles. Much nicer smoke without burning that much more than just one nozzle.

Smoke valve

OK, now that my plane is painted, I don't like the excess smoke oil thats accumulating on my freshly painted belly. Does anybody know the type of metering valve to use to adjust the volume of oil going to the nozzle.
Regards

Pics of the home brew!

I'm going to build my own smoke tank & would be interested in seeing your pics & material list. I have a 12 volt fuel pump I used with a 650 Holly which should give plenty of flow. AWI already welded a 1/8" tap on my exhaust, was wondering if I need a fitting with a fixed orifice? And what kind of flow rate do you look for?

Last edited:
Phil
Check the beginning of this thread. I posted some links to the tank, etc.
Also, I drilled 3 (#57 drill) holes in the exhaust pipe inside the welding bung.
Maybe you only need 2, hence my need for the needle valve now.
When I fly next to my buddy with a "Smoking Airplanes" 2 nozzle setup, I am making a thicker smoke trail than he is (same oil). His valve is only 1/2 open though. But I'm getting an oily belly.
Good Luck.

P.S. a link to the needle valve.....$15.00

http://www1.mscdirect.com/CGI/NNSRI...d=13665Pstoreid=1040626Ppagenumber=4367Pmode=

Last edited: