Wayne

Well Known Member
Looking for some information on building your own type of AWOS sytem for our local airport. A group of us pilots are looking at adding this feature for our own saftey and interests and it will not be an "official" site.

Any person or club built one?

Thanks

Wayne
RV7a C-GOYA in final assembly

What is AWOS, just kidding

I guess if software and hardware setup like what Dan suggest has a voice synthesizer to repeat the data, all that is needed is a radio.

Now that is two too many IF's.

The second part is it legal to broadcast continuous on VHF aviation freqs Unofficially. I brief study of the AWOS subject it looks like there are regulations and specification for the official ones. I understand you want it for your own personal use, but what does an official one cost. I am guessing a lot and more than you want to spend.

I would think it would be nice if you did get a general weather station hardware/software that could synthesize voice, the alternative to continuous broadcast would be like PCL lighting, several clicks would key the transmitter only for 20-30 second. I think that might get around some FAA/FCC issues. A advanced hobbyist could wire up a fancy "clapper" to key the transmit side of the radio with a relay across the mic PTT. A simple timer activated by set number clicks that shuts down after 30 seconds can be made with a few parts ($10-$20). This would help from burning the radio out and allow use of a regular com radio. Not having continuous TX might be a nice thing.

May be continuous broad cast with a low watt radio with antenna placement for only near range broadcast to the field might get around the oversight of the FAA/FCC. Keep use informed. I plan on a private field and would love to also make one.

George

PS, Here is a Voice synthesizer
http://www.rcsys.com/dt.htm

Now all you have to do is program the software to send text thru the serial ports. Some weather stations claim to have RS232 serial output? How all that might work together, who knows, but have fun researching it. Add the radio you might have a system for about a grand to $1500, Used or stripped down computer and crummy monitor, $500; weather station, $330 (Oregon scientific); pc software, $70; V. Synth, $300 and an old used com radio/antenna, $400. If you don't want to make the radio TX with radio clicks, if you are a day only airport, the radio can come on at dawn and go till dusk with a wall timer on the power supply. Another option is a simple timer/relay I could even make, to key the mic every 20 seconds on, 40 seconds off, or something like that to save the radio. Although the click activated type would still be easy, I can't wire up one from the top of my head. If you want one I can look into it. It would be easy to do with a few parts, most available at radio shack.

Just some random thoughts, but from Dan's suggestion and what I see, it looks like you could cobble together some off the shelf stuff with little cash ($1500 or less). It will not be free or with out set-up (assume you have a outbuilding and a/c power).

It would be nice to know the winds, temp, baro and even rain fall in the last few hours. ( I landed at a wet soft-field once not knowing the field was wet. Long story I would not have landed knowing the field had be dumped on that morning. I got in an out with out much problem, but besides mud, takeoff performance was hampered by field conditions and made the takeoff more sporty than I liked, lesson learned.)

Last note, you might want to casually check the FCC legality at setting up a broadcast station with the FCC. I would think the click activate one with limited transmit reply time might be a no brainier from a legal standpoint. Also I am not sure a regular COM can take 24/7 transmitting? G

Last edited:
My suggestion is forget about transmitting altogether. Get a small weather station and hook it up to your computer. Get someone computer savy to set it up such that it will respond to any e-mail with the current weather conditions. Most of the decent weather stations have simple serial communications or come with an API. Very straightforward kind of stuff. If you can't get phone or cable modem to the airport, hook it up to a cell phone. One of the PDA types might have enough functionality and connecticity to work without too much fuss.

When you want to know what the weather is, send an e-mail from your cell phone, wait 20 seconds, and voila!. Don't everybody start in on me about the legalities of making cell phone calls from an airplane. :rolleyes:

There are 5 baggilion ways to get this to work and there just isn't enough room in this little text box to even scratch the surface.

Another possibility is a remote weather station. They have some that transmit up to 30 miles with no FCC license required, and they run on solar power. Runs about $3000.

Check these dudes out.
http://www.weathershop.com/

...or you can just do what I do and over fly the field once :D

Roll your own WX station

If you are somewhat computer savy you could try some of these links I had collected:

using Davis Instuments:
http://www.cs.earlham.edu/~hip/weather/

using the "One-wire" weather instruments:
http://oww.sourceforge.net/

You can use both projects to send data to a web server, etc, but no functionality for voice or transmitting.

For text to speech, might I suggest 'festival' (also free linux software).

No idea on the transmitting part, sorry.

You might even want to buy one of those low-power fanless mini-ITX motherboards for this purpose. try idotpc.com for that.

Gee is technology fantastic!

I think that one company transmits on UHF, but guess going to VHF would be a no brainier, but the FCC and FAA might need to be involved.

Using the internet and cel phone to get weather is interesting, not standard aviation procedure, but its 2006. ATC data links, satellite nav/com, traffic and terrain collision avoidance and real time weather is all coming or here. Wow. I think I am getting old. A Cub with no electrical system is sounding good to me. G

PS the ultimate weather device: http://www.windycreek.com/weatherrock.html

Last edited:
Your own AWOS

Our airpark has one on order... in the $4000 to $5000 range ready to install.
It transmits on our Multicom (122.9) and will automatically broadcast for a cycle when it gets 4 clicks on the radio.

I don't have all of the details at the moment, but will get them and post them if anyone is interested.

My home Vantage 2 Pro weather station with a link to a PC and a synthesizer as previously mentioned would do something similar.. but you get into radio licensing questions...

http://www.davisnet.com/weather/products/vantage2.asp

gil in Tucson

*jaw drops* Holy cow! The last time I looked into that sort of canned solution, it was well into the 5 figures $$$. Color me impressed

jcoloccia said:
*jaw drops* Holy cow! The last time I looked into that sort of canned solution, it was well into the 5 figures $$$. Color me impressed

I'll report back on the equipment when it arrives, but I think it's someone who has just pre-packaged the weather station/PC/transmitter combination talked about in previous posts....
You are right, combining low cost commercial equipment certainly drops the prices down.... :)

gil in Tucson

What company gil?

az_gila said:
Our airpark has one on order... in the $4000 to $5000 range ready to install.
It transmits on our Multicom (122.9) and will automatically broadcast for a cycle when it gets 4 clicks on the radio.

I don't have all of the details at the moment, but will get them and post them if anyone is interested.gil in Tucson
What company are your referring to for the $4000 to $5000 AWOS. Thanks I would like to know, that is great. George

If you're going to roll your own ASOS what about calling it on the phone rather than having it broadcast? You could check weather from any stop enroute, or if have a fairly modern headset and a cell phone you can call it in flight. Are there any low cost weather stations that have phone in capability?

Cell phones in planes?

svanarts said:
If you're going to roll your own ASOS what about calling it on the phone rather than having it broadcast? You could check weather from any stop enroute, or if have a fairly modern headset and a cell phone you can call it in flight. Are there any low cost weather stations that have phone in capability?
Cell phones are not typical "aviation" technique in the strict AIM/FAR sense, but understand the cell phones have some basic web browsing and pay to view weather services, which are absolutely cool and no doubt could be used. Really I am out of touch. My cel phone does not have a camera or web browser, I don't have text messaging either. I do have a iPaq PDA with WiFi web browsing and can down load a gob of data for later viewing, but its not useful for actual real time in-flight data link to the web. Got to get one of those fancy cell phones, but for now all I want to do is talk on it. Yes I am boring.

The "standard" that all pilots should know and routinely use is the VHF COM radio. If you have a radio call ATC or FSS or listen for local fields in the vicinity with ATIS/ASOS or call FSS for general area WX. That is usually plan "A" any way. However the question is how to set up a roll your own AWOS.

Do you only want weather info available only to local pilots who know to call a phone number airborne and have a phone, or do you want to have transient pilots also have the info. A VHF broadcast of the weather would be best for all pilots. The local guys are the ones who probably need it least.

For a fly-In air park community it does make more sense. Having additional notes broadcast regarding nose abatement and restrictions would help transient pilots from doing something rude.

What do you really NEED to know: wind, baro, temp followed by cloud/ceiling and visibility. The good old windsock takes care of the wind which is the only thing you really need. Temp should not be a big secret. Altimeter from a nearby airport's ATIS/AWOS or even ATC or FSS should give an approximate setting. The latter two, vis/ceiling, don't lend themselves to consumer weather stations, but its easily estimated by the old Mark V EB's (eyeball's). Of course IFR Ops are a differnt issue. If there's an instrument approach, acceptable weather observations is available.

I think the real question is how to get REAL time weather for a small field with no weather service , automatic or observed. With technology it seems very simple to utilize a consumer weather station and at least get, wind, temp, baro and even rain fall history, possibly for cheap. Personal broadcast AWOS is definitely not a must have for a small VFR airport obviously, but I could see it as a NICE thing to have.

CELL PHONES
I did not think you could or should use the cell phone in a plane routinely, but I am behind the power curve when it comes to cell phones. I have not tried a cell phone in a plane (flying) lately. I did it once many years ago with out a headset interface. It worked but noise made it impractical. This was before web browsing color cell phones where so wide spread, but its fair to say cell phones are not standard procedure (or is it?).

Today you can call almost any airport with a AWOS/ASOS and listen to the broadcast; I did it all the time for pre-flight planning, but never in the air. I also know you can call a number and type in an airport ID to get the ATIS/AWOS as a text message. I think Dan )_( has or had this option on his web site, you send an email with a key word and his server sent a reply weather email for that station. If you have e-mail on the cell phone you are in business. May be he can tell us how that works. I recall he only had larger airports with K-3 letter ID's. I don't remember the detail. Of course none of the above cell tricks work to get actual approach end runway conditions for a little private airport, if you don't buy a weather station and tie it into the web, which is beyonds my abilities. You see peoples web cams and little weather blocks that are sending the local conditions at a private observing station.

The other cell phone suggestion, as I understand it, was to have your little weather station at your private strip upload weather data to the web, which you could retrieve with a cell phone. I don't know how that works but that sounds interesting.

To use the cell phone you not only need to know the phone number and of course have an in-flight capable phone. Local pilots don't NEED the weather as much because they know the prevailing conditions. Really the VHF broadcast is the most useful, but would be cool to have a phone and web link that you could call or web-browse. I found that was helpful in knowing when the Fog had burned off or visibility increased before driving out to the airport.

For a small low use private airport it is not critical, but sure would be nice to know. Of course we are also talking about VFR airports or operations. IFR really demands an approved weather observer (manual or automated). Commercial operations of course are forbidden to do IFR Ops unless there is WX available. Th idea of setting up a little $300 weather station and hooking it it up to an old COM and antenna for a home grown AWOS is a neat idea. George

Last edited:
What do you really NEED to know: wind, baro, temp followed by cloud/ceiling and visibility. The good old windsock takes care of the wind which is the only thing you really need. Temp should not be a big secret. Altimeter from a nearby airport's ATIS/AWOS or even ATC or FSS should give an approximate setting.

George... our requirements may be a bit different....

The the AWOS was requested by several pilots who use the airport at night and really wanted wind information.
I "think" we elected to broadcast (it's programmable, of course) wind, temperature, pressure (local, not KTUS 20 miles away) and density altitude. Due to a couple of mountain ridges, our winds often are quite different from the KTUS winds.

In SE AZ, dew point becomes a number that you see how low it goes :) (early morning and we are high today at 42 F, 49% RH, dew pt. 24F) and visibility isn't usually a problem. Our airpark can't get any sort of IFR approaches anyway because the runway clearances and clear zones are below standards.

gil in Tucson ... still need to get the info. from the guy who ordered the system.

I agree, useful

az_gila said:
George... our requirements may be a bit different....
gil in Tucson ...
I am with you, any info is good info. It is totally useful. Temp/Dew point for sure. I flew out of a non-towered airport with a full meal deal AWOS and instrument approaches. It was nice to call before leaving the house to know the Vis, temp/dew and ceiling was. As far as Arizona, my Dad lived in Glendale (near PHX) and I enjoyed flying around Sedona. The winds can be tricky sometimes. Beautiful country BTW. George

Last edited:
Details!!

OK guys.. spoke to the airpark resident who is buying the system.

It's made by WeatherHawk

http://www.weatherhawk.com

When installed, it can also be internet accessible through a high speed link (DSL is finally available in our airpark), and the present weather can be accessed from anywhere.

A TX airport example is here...

http://www.haireairport.metsite.com/

It should be arriving this week, and I might be helping to set it up.
The purchaser is also a satellite equipment dealer and might become a dealer for these for aviation uses.

More details after it's set up and working, including a flying user report. We asked for a version that only has 5 mile range so we don't hit too many other 122.9 sites in SE Arizona....

The price range I mentioned before is correct $4000 to $5000 depending on options.

One neat feature is that anyone locally on the airpark can get a receiver and tap into the real time weather data.. just like having your own station on your roof... Too late for me though, I've got one on the roof.... :)

gil in Tucson