Davepar

Well Known Member
A friend is considering installing a Trutrak roll servo bracket while access is still easy. However, he's being told he needs to use the fuselage (under seat) servo for a 7A? Is that right? I thought all the side-by-sides could use the wing servo. How hard is it to install the fuselage roll servo?

TruTrak's website has diagrams for (7) wing installations. For either the right or left wing.

For some reason I was told the same

But when it showed up it was for the wing...You want the wing install, very easy to install.

Frank 7a

wing

I've taken my servo in/out of my finished wing multiple times. Not hard to do at all. For me, it's easier to take the whole aileron bellcrank assembly out once you disconnect the pushrods. Go for the wing version.

Fuselage for me

I installed mine in the fuselage in the outer bay, left side. The entire process only took an hour. The pushrod run is roughly 14." Also made the wiring run very simple.

The downside is if a problem occurs the seat pans will need to be removed. Other than that, the fuselage install works great.

Sounds like the wing install is the most popular. Is there any reason, other than shorter wiring run, to put the roll servo in the fuselage vs. the wing?

Davepar said:
Sounds like the wing install is the most popular. Is there any reason, other than shorter wiring run, to put the roll servo in the fuselage vs. the wing?

Install it in the right wing, and offset a bit of the weight imbalance when flying "pilot only". That was good enough reason for me. I have an aileron servo in the right wing too!

Mine's a Trio but...

I put my servo in the wing after looking at lot of installations and talking to Trio. My main concern was about possible binding of the rod end bearings (between the servo and the aileron pushrod) as the control stick is moved fore and aft and Trio said that is why they do not reccommend the under-seat location.

I installed mine in the same bay as the bellcrank while the wing bottom skin was still off. If I didn't have that access I would have put it out in the wing tip.

Jim
RV-7A Finishing
N622WR

I've spoken with both the Trutrack and Trio people about under the seat installations for in my RV-6. In each case, people I spoke with indicated that I would be much happier with a wing mounted installation. They said that everyone who used the under-seat installation had pitch problems where the servo would induce pitch inputs in addition to roll inputs.

And I'm sure that there are people out there who are very happy with under-seat installations.... BUT, looking at the geometry, I simply don't see how to avoid pitch input if you use an under seat location.

Last edited:
Kyle Boatright said:
...And I'm sure that there are people out there who are very happy with under-seat installations.... BUT, looking at the geometry, I simply don't see how to avoid pitch input if you use and under seat location.
My servo is under the seat with the Martin Sutter method and I haven't had any problems, including pitch coupling. I would still recommend the wing installation for the simple reason of how much underseat structure needs to be removed, at least on my RV-6, for the fuselage installation.

Under the seat in our RV-6A

I couldn't be happier with the under seat installation which I think is standard in the RV-6. I was under the impression the the location for the RV-7 was in the wing. I actually went into the company at Springdale to pick mine up. Jim Younkin gave me a ride in the company RV-9A to demonstrate its operation and pulled the parts out of the bins for me. He went through the list of required parts for my specific model (RV-6A) and was extremely careful to assure they were complete and correct so there are differences. If you stick with what they supply you for your specific airplane you will not be disappointed. By the way, if you do not get altitude hold you are making a big mistake.

Bob Axsom