apatti

Well Known Member
All,
I know my left and right rail caps (along the top longeron) are not necessairly even with one another. So I can't really use them to help me square the roll bar. I was trying to square the roll bar by measuring distances on each side from the firewall back to a point on the roll bar. I adjusted the fore/aft position of one side of the roll bar until both sides measured the same distance to the firewall. To double check, I measured the distance back to the 807 bulkhead on each side. BTW, the top aft skin is clecoed into place, so the 807 should be stable. Unfortunately, when square with the firewall, the distance back to the 807 is aobut 1/8" different from one side to the other. Is that enough to create problems when I go to fit the canopy and canopy frame? Do you think it would be preferable to be square with the firewall or square with the 807 bulkhead?

Finally, I know the fore/aft position of the roll bar is important so the canopy frame will butt up against it properly. Does anyone have a measurement or two that could help me make sure my placement is right? For example, what is the distance measured along the upper longeron from the 807 bulkhead to the aft edge of the roll bar weldement?

Thanks in advance...

remind me

maybe zap me an email to remind me- - I can measure tomorrow after work. that is, if you trust my workmanship!! by the way, when are you going to get down for a visit?

Drawing number 37 shows where/how to line up the windshield support. The rear canopy frame doesn't but up to the roll bar, mine is about 3/8-1/2 of an inch from the roll bar when closed and locked.

The fiberglass faring you will build (loads of fun) over the canopy will cover the gap between the roll bar and the canopy frame and the small gap between the windshield and canopy. Then, after you have the glass installed you will probably have to trim, adjust and fit the canopy lock for your RV. Take a look at the lock (the "hook" portion) and you will see there is a lot of room for adjustment.

For what it's worth, I'm not really sure if my roll bar is square with anything, I just followed the drawing and pressed on.

Last edited:
numbers

from the aft edge of the rollbar plate (where it attaches to the fus) to the front of the fus side skin (firewall, basically) meaures 36.5" L, 36 9/16 R. for what it's worth.