RV7Guy

Well Known Member
This will work with any 6, 7, 9 Slider roll bar. 'm building a 7 Slider. I came to the dreaded task of compressing the roll bar to the appropriate dimension. I reviewed every web site I could find. There was everything from heating it to manual compression. All looked like they were a lot of work. As with everyone building a plane you think, "There has to be a better way."

Living on an airpark has advantages. I went over to the commercial side of the park and contact my friend who has a full machine shop and makes components for a variety of Golf Carts and the Volkswagen Thing. I told the owner what I was trying to do and he said, "no big deal."

He had one of the employees get a 3 inch ratchet strap (might have been a 4" strap). This is one with the giant ratchet mechanism used most commonly by truck drivers.

We hooked it up and compressed the roll bar. Within about 5 minutes and a couple of tweaks it was perfect. Total time 10 minutes. Done.

The biggest challenge will probably be getting the big ratchet strap. No need to heat it, or do other drastic measure. I was surprised and happy as to how quick this worked!!