SHORTRV7

Well Known Member
Has anyone painted the roll bar brace Flat Black instead of leaving it White to hide it in the Windscreen or am I out in left field on it showing and causing a glare????

I've never seen it's reflection in the windscreen. That's because of the angle. If you are going to paint anything black, the top skin over the panel would be my first. You can see light colored items placed on it when flying such as a map.

I thought it would glare and painted the whole
slider frame and rollbar flat black.
(My Luscombe windshild tubing was also painted flat black.)
I also have the glare shield covered with flat black vinyl.
I am very happy with the results.

I have no comparison with lighter colors as it was
painted black before first flight.

Tom

I agree...

I agree with Webb, no sign of glare from the roll bar, but the top of the panel is critical. You might want to avoid chrome plating the roll bar, however. :D

John Clark
RV8 N18U "Sunshine"
KSBA

I never have noticed any glare from that part. I don't know if you thought of this so I will mention it. When you get your windscreen cut to the final size and are ready to mount it, paint the windscreen black on the inside around the edge aprox 1 to 1.5 inches where you will do your fiberglass layups. This way you will not see the layups from inside the cabin, and it just looks better!

Last edited:
I never have noticed any glare from that part. I don't know if you thought of this so I will mention it. When you get your windscreen cut to the final size and are ready to mount it, paint the windscreen black on the inside around the edge aprox 1.5 inches where you will do your fiberglass layups. This way you will not see the layups from inside the cabin, and it just looks better!

Great advice and this is 100% correct. I wish I had.

Another thing I would have done but didn't. I would have done the fiberglass work that holds the windscreen in place with a release agent underneath it also with plastic wrap. Then taken it off when I had a good build up. Build it up some more then sanded it off the airplane. When I was happy with the look, put it back in place with using screws with place nuts. A little sealant under it to prevent a leak and it would have been ready for paint. That way, I could easily replace it if I needed to and the finished product would have looked great also. As it is now, I hope I never have to replace the windscreen. Based on the amount of time I spent on the fiberglass work, I would estimate I would have cut the time in half. Seems like I saw where you could buy the same for about $500.

I painted the brace and my glareshield black. I have zero reflections.

My canopy frame, on the other hand, is cream colored, as are the canopy decks. The glare from those items is annoying at times. If I was doing it over again, they woudn't be glossy or cream colored.

Roll Bar Brace---staying White

Hey thanks for the response, I just painted the top of the boot cowl Flat black as to not show any glare in the windshield. As far as the Brace, I think I will leave it white. Thank all of you for the good advise.
Getting closer everyday.....

It does reflect

Here is a proof:

IMG_4241.JPG

I am too lazy to paint it now. However, on my 10, I am going to paint everything black.

No white shirts to!

Painted evrything dark gray, including the brace. The top of the panel is dark gray leather (yeah I like that luxurious look!). I am not flying yet, but for me no glare!
I realy got bollocked by the examinar when I put my sectional chart on the glare shield, on final, when I was making the last landing during my exam. That made me think about avoiding anything that can glare in the canopy!

It looks better from the outside to!

Oh........and I avoid white shirts when flying, sometimes I can only see myself in the windshield, if I do. My current flying machines (Cessna's) may be worse, in this respect, than RV's, though.

Regards, Tonny.