Vlad

Well Known Member
On next condition inspection I plan to replace all nuts and bolts on all control surfaces. The hardware was in operation for almost 4 years and over 1,500 hours. I am wondering if there is a service life of rod end bearings? They are exposed to the elements and some of them look plain rusty. Walt?

I think its a great idea to remove the surfaces to inspect the bearings as well as the structure that is not visible with the surfaces installed during a "heavy" conditional check. At that point you can closely inspect the bearing for any signs of play, rust, pitting etc. If they look good and operate freely I would lube them up good and continue them in service. The bearing will last a very long time especially if they are well cared for (lubed often, I use Triflow or LPS2).

Last edited:
One of the EAA HINTS FOR HOMEBUILDERS video series shows a tool for greasing rod end bearings. If the metal surfaces never touch because there is a thin film of lubricant between them they will last forever,

Vlad, they use these exact rod ends for snowmobile steering arms. I have seen them fail after decades of hard push/pull use. I would be shocked if any of yours were anywhere near the end of their service life.

While we are up on the lake on Sunday, I will try to find an old snowmobile and show you how well they hold up!

:). CJ

Interesting

the Spruce listing says "non-anodized," but the illustration clearly shows anodized parts.