Sam Buchanan

been here awhile
The RMI website has the following notice:

NEW SALES HAVE BEEN DISCONTINUED! Rocky Mountain Instrument has discontinued sales of both the microEncoder and the microMonitor. We will continue technical support, repairs and upgrades for as long as possible. As you can imagine, some custom components for the units are high cost and must be purchased in large quantities. It is not practical or profitable to continue to offer new kits or assembled units.

While I am disappointed to see the production of these capable devices cease, I certainly understand the market pressures they are facing. The RMI devices have served many of us well, and while they were once about the only option for builders wanting an electronic panel, that is no longer the case. Hopefully service will continue to be available for quite some time for the units still in the field.

Nothing has served me better than my kit built Microencoder. A fine and reliable piece of equipment. Never a moment's problem.

Sorry to hear this!

I have flown with the uMonitor and Microencoder for the past 850+ hours and they have done a great job. However, things change and I understand. I wish them well, and thank them for not only a great product, but outstanding service as well.

They were one of the first on the block with any kind of sales volume in a niche market (kit/prefab gear) and in electronic gismo years survived eons with the same products. Quite remarkable really and speaks volumes to design, engineering, and vision out of the gate. I know nothing of the company but was surprised they never continued to innovate bringing any new products on line.

An amazing run.

The usual VDO sensors...

Just a naive question. Where do these instruments get their raw data from?

..and a FloScan fuel flow sensor - and thermocouple EGT and CHT sensors.

The one really big "defect" on the RMI engine monitor is the lack of simultaneous 4 cylinder EGT/CHT monitoring.

As previously stated, they were one a the few electronic games in town, but got outdone by the later graphical type engine monitors.

Other than changing the original degrees C scale to degrees F, they never really updated their devices. I'm sure their sales over the last several years have been cut to almost zero by the later graphical monitors.

PS Does any one want to buy an original engine monitor as a back-up spare part...:)

I have an unused, well-built kit EngineMonitor - open to offers....:)

I have four cylinder monitoring via a rotary switch. Not as good at modern monitors but far better than many older certified aircraft.

I also used two rotary switches wired to LED's to show which cyl was being monitored. One for CHT and another for EGT. Not as good as the new stuff, but it is still working very well.

Gil,
I have an unused, well-built kit EngineMonitor - open to offers..
Has the unit been upgraded to display F* instead of C*?
Put a price on it, I may be interested.

PM to: [email protected]
Thanks

Wes, even if it is in degrees C you should call RMI to see if the conversion kits are still for sale. I did that with mine about two years ago.

It's an old "C"...

I also used two rotary switches wired to LED's to show which cyl was being monitored. One for CHT and another for EGT. Not as good as the new stuff, but it is still working very well.

Gil,

Has the unit been upgraded to display F* instead of C*?
Put a price on it, I may be interested.

PM to: [email protected]
Thanks

...model.

I'll check Monday to see if the "F" conversion kit - which gives you a brand new display, IIRC, is still around.

Nothing has served me better than my kit built Microencoder. A fine and reliable piece of equipment. Never a moment's problem.

Same with my kit built MicroMonitor...(built on the kitchen table in our previous house).

Micromonitor wiring harness expander, half price.

I have been selling these expander boards for several years for the RMI Micromonitor.

RM-1B_product.jpg

They have sold well, but I could see the end coming for the Micromonitor. For those of you who have a Micromonitor, but have not yet installed it, you may wish to consider one of these.

I have a small quantity left at half price (now $75.00) available from www.vx-aviation.com.

This is a great deal, and the device greatly simplifies wiring and allows the use of standard d-sub connectors rather than the legacy 36 pin connector used by the micromonitor.

When they are gone, I will remove the 'add to cart' button from the website, but the documentation will still be posted.

Thanks,
Vern

I have been selling these expander boards for several years for the RMI Micromonitor.

RM-1B_product.jpg

They have sold well, but I could see the end coming for the Micromonitor. For those of you who have a Micromonitor, but have not yet installed it, you may wish to consider one of these.

I have a small quantity left at half price (now $75.00) available from www.vx-aviation.com.

This is a great deal, and the device greatly simplifies wiring and allows the use of standard d-sub connectors rather than the legacy 36 pin connector used by the micromonitor.

When they are gone, I will remove the 'add to cart' button from the website, but the documentation will still be posted.

Thanks,
Vern

A reminder to all that this deal is still running, with a few RM-1B devices left for the Rocky Mountain Micromonitor. Once they are gone, they will be discontinued. I will continue to maintain spares and full warranty support.

Half price, what a deal!