logansc

Well Known Member
Everyone: I'm looking at a panel upgrade next year, probably going to all glass (I hate to do it, I love my mostly round-dial, fighter cockpit look). But...I have a question about what I should do with my G530W? What are the pros and cons of retaining it even after installing the latest in glass from Dynon, Garmin, or Advanced? Does it give me an approved IFR capability that the experimental stuff does not confer? I have a Tru-Track Genesis which I assume I will retain and if an AF-5000 of some kind (for example) will drive the Genesis in all axes, maybe I don't need it. What is the story on that stuff?

I've not flown with any of the new glass and would like to move up and of course, cover all the latest FAA requirements too.

Lee...

Hi Lee, I found designing (and redesigning) my panel to be enjoyable, however working within the constraints of the panel width meant making some trade-offs. I originally had a 696 in my panel and dropped it when I went to the Garmin G3X Touch. With the GPS/Maps in the G3X, and the split screen capability, I don't miss it at all.

You might find the 530 is takes up a lot of valuable real estate, and the newer EFIS' will likely have the mapping capability you would use the large display on the 530 for. There are smaller units with the same "GPS" capability and I would be inclined to use those (mine is a 430W). You can also go to a remote mount transponder to save some space (run from the EFIS).

For IFR GPS approaches I believe you will need a certified GPS source such as the 530/430 or equivalent.

FYI - I added 0.75? to the panel depth and have not found it to be any problem.

Here is a pic of my redone panel. This was done with the intent of using if for IFR, however I am having second thoughts about getting the rating. Obviously you won?t have the VP200 (on the left) and won?t need the compass. I am considering replacing the GRT Mini EFIS (backup) with the G5 as it will continue to interface with the autopilot in the event the G3X goes dark. And I believe it would simplify the transition.

20160119_142847%20(800x480).jpg

Mark: Very nice panel! I'm on my fourth one now and still not satisfied (actually, my utilization of the airplane is changing a bit too). Anyway, am I correct in assuming that I'm legal for IFR flight with a certified GPS and an appropriate Dynon, AF Dynamics, etc display? I would of course add an appropriate attitude and performance instrument package, but I think that with say a G3X like yours or an AF5000 series and a certified GPS, that's all I need (assuming the chosen glass "system" has a transponder, comms, and ADS-B Out).

Have I got that right?

Mark: Very nice panel! I'm on my fourth one now and still not satisfied (actually, my utilization of the airplane is changing a bit too). Anyway, am I correct in assuming that I'm legal for IFR flight with a certified GPS and an appropriate Dynon, AF Dynamics, etc display? I would of course add an appropriate attitude and performance instrument package, but I think that with say a G3X like yours or an AF5000 series and a certified GPS, that's all I need (assuming the chosen glass "system" has a transponder, comms, and ADS-B Out).

Have I got that right?

The basic answer is 'yes', as long as the gps is TSO'd under 145/146 (WAAS), as yours is. ( If it's TSO 129 then you need a VOR too.) Of course only you can decide if one, two, or more attitude sources are enough or sufficient for you to fly in safety.
Your existing gps can also serve (may need a software upgrade) as the required gps source for an ADSB-out system using a Garmin or Trig mode S-ES transponder

Thanks Bob. That is very helpful. I have three attitude instruments in my aircraft at the moment and that is close to my minimum of two! One on the glass and one as a part of the auto pilot or a separate system sounds good to me.

I've got a lot of figuring to do!

LOL---but its a cool looking panel as is. I remember the first one, really did look like an F-4.
I guess this one will be like-------who knows what lee has in mind!
Tom