Bob Axsom

Well Known Member
This last cross country race of the season is set for November 17 in Taylor, Texas. So far, three RVs are signed up. The course is the same as for the Taylor 100 earlier in the year but the Rocket folks are putting it on. So far three rockets are signed up as well. www.sportairrace.org. Ron Lee where are you?

Bob Axsom

Bob
It was nice meeting you in Memphis. The trip to Texas is almost 1100nm for me and I have done it the last two years but weather will play a big part in whether I can go or not. Last year we spent three nights on the road getting home and I do not want to do that again. These races are a great way to see how you compare with your peers and to really check aircraft modifications. Everyone should make an attempt to do at least one of them if they can.

Here is the entry list 11-1-07

I sure hope you can make it Tom. The entry list is growing nicely. I ordered the rubber from Aircraft Spruce for the wheel fairing mod you suggested. I have the first coat of paint on my short race wing tips and I think I will have time to get that mod in before the last race.

The following racers have registered for the
Rocket 100 Air Race as of November 1, 2007:

Sport

Race 74 - Duncan Sutherland - SX-300 Sport

Sport FX

Race 14 - Wayne Hadath - F1 Rocket Sport FX
Race 52 - Don Saint Glasair - II FT Sport FX
Race 57 - Ray Edmiston F1 Rocket Sport FX
Race 104 Wolfgang Meyn F1 Rocket Sport FX

RG Blue

Race 13 James Redmon Berkut 360 RG Blue
Race 36 Larry Henney Lancair 360 RG Blue

RG Red

Race 51 Rick Pellicciotti Long EZ RG RG Red

RV Blue

Race 26 Mike Thompson RV-6 RV Blue
Race 71 Bob Axsom RV-6A RV Blue
Race 483 Jim Hard RV-7A RV Blue

RV Red

Race 41 Cam Benton RV-4 RV Red

FX Red

Race 06 Jim Hogue Mustang II FX Red

FAC 2

Race 77 Jim Huff Bonanza F35 FAC 2

FAC 3

Race 05 Henry Punzi Mooney M20 FAC 3

Bob Axsom

THANK YOU bob for the picture CD of the memphis race.

maybe I'll see you in tx. turf strip, hum. I've got about 1/2" wheel pant clearance.

That stip is optional

Mark the runway at Taylor, Texas where the race is run is a good paved strip. The pre and post events at the grass strip are optional. I plan to drive over for the Friday night event race from Taylor Muni the next morning then head home. You can ride with us if you like on Friday but we are not going there after the race. I'm not going into an unknown grass strip with my clipped wing "A" bird - my choice.

Bob Axsom

This is close to being it

The entry list at www.sportairrace.org hasn't changed in almost a week. I hope more will show up but this is a good group. If you are in the area and want to see how this cross country air racing works, come out to the Taylor, TX Muni early Saturday morning.

Bob Axsom

The following racers have registered for the
Rocket 100 Air Race as of November 6, 2007:

Sport

Race 74 - Duncan Sutherland - SX-300

Sport FX

Race 14 - Wayne Hadath - F1 Rocket
Race 45 - Dean Berry - Glasair I
Race 52 - Don Saint Glasair - II FT
Race 57 - Ray Edmiston F1 Rocket
Race 104 Wolfgang Meyn F1 Rocket

RG Blue

Race 13 - James Redmon Berkut 360
Race 36 - Larry Henney Lancair 360

RG Red

Race 51 - Rick Pellicciotti Long EZ

RV Blue

Race 18 - John Huft RV-8
Race 26 - Mike Thompson RV-6
Race 71 - Bob Axsom RV-6A
Race 483 - Jim Hard RV-7A

RV Red

Race 41 - Cam Benton RV-4

FX Red

Race 06 - Jim Hogue Mustang II
Race 12 - Michael Garel Sidewinder
Race 85 - Kevin Funk

FAC 2

Race 53 - Dale Burgdorf Bonanza V35
Race 77 - Jim Huff Bonanza F35

FAC 3

Race 05 - Henry Punzi Mooney M20
Race 17 - West Sanders Cesnna 180

can you show up at the last minute and not get lost on an unfamiliar course?

You wouldn't happen to know if I'm number 70 bob?

Mark

Just input the turn points into a GPS. You can't do worse than I did at Memphis. My plane is down for some mods so I won't make it.

Mike Tompson is the best Contact

Mark,

I will send a message to Mike Thompson ([email protected]) to help coordinate this he is the chairman of the Sport Air Racing League that is sanctioning the event and he is also the local man on the scene as well as a competitor in the RV Blue Class. The latest list of entries does not contain a #70 so that should not be a problem.

The course is very easy to follow go to www.sportairrace.org and click on "Calendar of Events". On that page click on "The Rocket 1000". On that page click on "Rocket 100 Info". There you will find some narative and photographs of the course and several links as listed below:

[start of links listed]

Route and Turn Points

Race Rules

Rocket 100 Course Annotated

Course Narrative

SARL racers register here for the Rocket 100

Non-SARL racers register here for the Rocket 100

Worried About Pushing Your Engine Too Hard?

[end of links listed]

The first four of these links will get you familiar with the course to the point where you can plan the flight and set up the GPS for it. But after I completed my race flight plan yesterday I got a message from Mike saying there is a change to the start. Here is the message:

Folks,

We've had a change of the start point.

We will no longer start at the HUTTO water tower. We will start down the runway of the Macho Grande field.

Macho Grande is 41XS and its position is:
30-32.345333N 097-25.133333W
or
30-32-20.7200N 097-25-08.0000W
or
30.5390889 -97.4188889
depending on how your gadget wants to enter it.

Those of you who ran the Rocket 100 last year may recall the short dash South from Taylor to the highway, hanging a left (heading East) and following to the apex of the turn and then Macho Grande is right at your 3 o'clock, straight South.
A hard right turn and dive for the start down the grass strip, and away you go to Elgin (Turn 1).

The remainder of the course remains the same including the finish at the HUTTO water tower, same as last year's Rocket 100 and this year's Taylor 100.

Only the start point has changed.

I will send some pics from the Rocket package as soon as I can find them...
Gotta be on one of these computers somewhere...

Let me know what questions you have.

On a more general note, the weather seemed to be threatening, but I note a change in the local forecasts. Friday is looking better and Saturday has turned to scattered stuff, 30%, which I'm sure will be 30% somewhere else.

Well, we're no strangers to marginal weather at races, eh?

Consistent with the safety of your crew and your ship, I hope you will all make every effort to be here for this "season finale" race, the Rocket fly-in and SARL awards luncheon.

- Mike

The runway at Taylor is a north-south runway and we will probably be launched to the south. After takeoff I will fly south as the message today instructed to the highway the runs east-west just outside the airport boundary and turn left and look for the runway at Macho Grande. Mike says it is grass but I have not seen it and I do not know its orientation - I assume it is north-south. This will be the only tricky part of the race because we will be at a low altitude going as fast as we can and unfamiliar grass strips are notoriously hard to spot. It is shown on the San Antonio Sectional as an R in a Circle with the name Macho Grande 600 feet elevation and 2,500 feet long less than 2 miles SSE of Taylor Muni It is not in my GPS data base so I created a user waypoint called MACHO with the coordinates listed in Mikes message. I don't think I will have a problem finding it but weather permitting I will fly over it Friday for familiarity.

After that the course is very easy to follow using the GPS with no pre-race run required. My flight plan is in the airplane right now the "Route and Turn Points" table gives the lat-long of every significnt point in the race after the start [the change] and the mag course and distance from one point to the next.

After leaving the grass strip start point fly roughly 170 dergrees (all magnetic) for 11 miles to the Elgin water tower. The tower is highly visible but there are a lot of water towers in this part of the country sobe sure it's location is in your GPS as a user waypoint. N -30 degrees 22.03', W - 97 degrees 24.57'. This turn requires that you turn fairly tight to avoid a residential development.

Then proceed on a course of 72 degrees for approximately 38 nautical miles to the Caldwell Airport with the identifier RWV. You must make this turn at 1,400 ft. MSL or above . It is a fairly severe turn to an outbound course of 285 degrees.

The third turn is 38 miles away at a radome on the west side of Granger Lake. You will see the lake first but the radome stands out snd can't be missed. You turn to a new course of 203 degrees and head for the finish line 11 miles away.

The finish is on the right side of the Hutto watter tower which is very prominent and can't be missed.

Except for the start line at Macho Grande I'm sure you will have no troublewith the course.

I know of two others that are planning to show up and race if the weather permits it.

I hope you can make it We are flying there Friday. Sorry to read that Ron Lee can't make it.

Bob Axsom

Last edited:
I need to get a printer and my own computer one of these days; and learn how to use the Waypoints on my GRT.

urgh

Mark I will have an extra set

Mark I will have an extra set with me that I will give you if you make it to Taylor, Texas tomorrow or very early Saturday morning. Mike has put out a great race package and with the photos he includes of the significant points on the course flying it is pretty easy. The turns with vertical markers like water towers and radomes can be seen and recognized from the photos several miles before you reach them. Flat things like airports are a bit more difficult at low altitude and high speed. Getting to know you user waypoint function is another positive thing about the cross country air races.

Bob Axsom

Last edited:
It's going to be a great weekend! The Rocket 100 events start this evening... so we're heading to the airport to assist. Hope to see a lot of VAF folks at the event.

We had a great time

We are home now but it was a trhilling experience. Mark Manda made it in from California and I was glad to see that. From his turn calls ahead of me I think he did well. A great bunch of people there and I even talked to Doug Reeves and the Texas crowd flying to Arkansas as we crossed paths in the air. Darrell was that you in the VAF T-shirt? Good days for all.

Bob Axsom

Can anyone share

We flew home after the Rocket Race yesterday and did not see the results. Does anyone have them to share? Most important to me is the speed of Race# 71.

Bob Axsom

??????

We flew home after the Rocket Race yesterday and did not see the results. Does anyone have them to share? Most important to me is the speed of Race# 71.

Bob Axsom

I heard that you won Bob! :eek: :D

Just kidding, I'd like to see the results also and someday if it works out I'll attend sometime.

Glad you made it home in safe fashion.

congrats on your year end award too bob. They kept trying to give me an award but couldn't find anything that said 5th place on it! I'll be back with some tweeks. I ran 199.950 kts.and maybe coulda hit 200 had I removed my tie down rings, urghh.

I spent all day at the fly in.

I just made it back to CA, departed IFR and flew on top to San Angelo,TX and then one stop at Demming, NM.

AWESOME experience !!!

thanks for the help.

Falcon flight looked great over the F1 bbq at Macho Grande.

big kudos to Mike Thompson and Mark Fredericks.

We are home now but it was a trhilling experience. Mark Manda made it in from California and I was glad to see that. From his turn calls ahead of me I think he did well. A great bunch of people there and I even talked to Doug Reeves and the Texas crowd flying to Arkansas as we crossed paths in the air. Darrell was that you in the VAF T-shirt? Good days for all.

Bob Axsom

Yep... the one with the holes in it... ;-) I thought about just having a tatto of the shirt but the wife said no! Glad that Manda made it down. We had a great bunch this year and a lot of nice planes for sure. Kahuna and the Falcon Flight bunch had a great performance too!! I was a the fuel station when you came in also. We had a lot going on Friday, stayed pretty late helping out one of the pilots with his aircraft.

Last edited:
The results

I saw the planes of the Falcon Flight but since we didn't go to Macho Grande I was unaware of the details. As we left for home they took off from Taylor just a little ahead of us and I heard their radio work - very precise. I guess it shouldn't be a surprise to me that the performance was great to watch.

I just checked the www.sportairrace.org website and the results and point standings are now posted. These are the results from the sorted by class then speed without reguard for class:

Finish By Class:

Aircraft Name Class Aircraft Type Speed MPH Speed KTS

Race 104 Wolfgang Meyn F1 Rocket Sport FX 249.55 216.86
Race 09 Tom Martin FEVO Rocket Sport FX 243.31 211.43
Race 14 Wayne Hadath F1 Rocket Sport FX 238.65 207.38
Race 52 Don Saint Glasair II FT Sport FX 234.02 203.36
Race 70 Mark Manda Harmon Rocket Sport FX 230.10 199.95
Race 57 Ray Edmiston F1 Rocket Sport FX 229.97 199.84
Race 45 Dean Berry Rocket Sport FX 222.27 193.15

Race 74 Duncan Sutherland SX-300 Sport 281.06 244.23

Race 41 Cam Benton RV-4 RV Red 200.37 174.12

Race 18 John Huft RV-8 RV Blue 224.15 194.78