k5buz

Anyone make it to the race at Taylor, TX today? I didn't make it, but I would be interested in how things went!

Tim

I didn't

After the one at Lubbock was cancelled I looked at the website for this one but there was nothing visible at the top level that told anything about the race so I didn't go any further with it. I hope it worked well for the organizers and racers I am going to hibernate until the spring. I hope to make a breakthrough on the cooling drag thing by then. The Airventure Cup Race is outstanding. This year there were 60 entriesand the classes were good for the RVs I think. The red and blue RV classes are basically 320 cu.in. and 360 cu.in. respectively so if your 180 HP comes from a 360 you will have to fly in the Blue class. No doubt your RV-4 is very fast with the 180 HP so that should not be a problem. The winners in this class are typically RV-8s with IO-360 200 (+?) HP (Jon Ross and John Huft are at the front of the pack) and the speeds in the class last year 210.26, 210.12, 201.47, 200.76, 200.07, 194.37, 193.42, 179.55 all in statute miles per hour. The planes were RV-8, RV-8, RV-8, RV-7, RV-8, RV-8, RV-6A and RV-6 respectively. Presumably because of large engine size and RV-6, RV-7, RV-8 and an RV-10 flew in the Sport FX class there speeds were 221.85, 191.47, 220.90 and 203.31 respectively. The one that I don't understand was Dave Anders who flew his RV-4 in the Formula FX Blue class where he came in second at 244.01 MPH behind Steve Hammer's Glasair I TD at 244.93 MPH. The one thing you have to watch in this race is you fuel consumption because the rece is fairly long at 407 nautical miles plus several miles to the required recovery site, Fond Du Lac. The other race that interests me is the one put on by U.S. Air Race. It is longer but it is broken up into legs of approx. 300 miles and it is handicapped. My guess is that you would not be interested in a handicap race given you plane and engine combination. Lastly Cam said they are working on somethig for next year that promises to be special, with a lot of fringe benefits for the racers.

Bob Axsom

Race Results

Got a call from Robbie Attaway who participated with his RV6. He said he was second with 201mph and the winner was an 8 with 213. Robbie reported the winds were bad and they really didn't get to really open up.

There should be results out soon.

Here are the results

First, huge thank yous and kudos to Mark and Cheryl Frederick, and Mike Thompson, for all the work organizing this race. Also to the corner workers, whoever they are.

First to last, without regard to the classes. I guess I am not a class guy.

Greg Nelson F1 Rocket 248 mph
Larry Henney Lancair 360 240.37
Tom Martin EVO Rocket 236.24
Wayne Hadath F1 Rocket 229.18
Ray Edmiston F1 Rocket 228.78
Don Saint Glasair II 227.48
Jeff Linebaugh F1 Rocket 226.44
John Huft RV8 216.01
Wolfgang Meyn EVO Rocket 213.12
Robbie Attaway RV6 203.13
Mike Thompson RV6 201.28
Damon Berry RV6 198.08
Kevin Jackson RV7 195.65
Bob Japundza RV6 194.69
John Albury Bonanza 191.33
Jim Huff Bonanza 190.14
James Hogue RV3 181.81
Terry Wills PA-24 180.09
Dewey Elsik Bellanca Viking 164.35
Jim Hard RV7A 163.47
Mark Kiedrowski Glastar 139.89

I apologize in advance for any typos. Sorry about the formatting, I don't know how to make columns.
The race was a blast! I guarantee the Glastar guy had lots of fun!

Last edited:
Just out of curiosity

What were the classes? And, what kind of course did they fly? It looks like a pretty good mix, including certified, with only one "A" RV in the crowd. I had kind of assumed it was a "Rocket" race.

Bob Axsom

Thanks for the update

I sure wanted to make the race, but couldn't. Looks as though there were plenty of speedy planes there. I might have been embarrassed in my RV-4! Maybe next time.

Great Race and Fellowship

This was a fun race and great BBQ lunch and a lot of visiting with fellow pilots that share the same interest. I trully enjoyed the time spent. I know that it took a lot of time and effort to put this race on and I would like to thank everyone that was involved. I look forward to the next Rocket 100 Race.
Robbie

Just Curious about speeds

I've never entered an air race but might someday and would be interested to know what altitudes most of the pilots flew in this race, what kind of manifold pressures, RPM's and actual TRUE airspeeds. I did some testing today on my -6 to see if I could keep up with anybody elses RV and with very small round inlets and I picked up speed but the CHT's stayed the same, around 280FCHT,,,, COLD, very COLD. I'm assuming the increased air speed kept the temps the same. Testing today was with 3.250" round airfoil inlet diffusers and I got these GPS ground numbers: N-248mph, S-195, E-222, W-220. Four way average of 221.25 mph. This was at 4,250ft. turning 2,680rpm x 27.5" MAP. Indicating 206-208 mph and the ambient temp was 66F degrees. Are these numbers good enough to enter a race and not get embarrased? I've got a few other things to change on the -6 but it's getting faster with everything I do. One thing that bothers me is flutter, what are the fast RV's doing about not getting into a flutter problem because I'm pushing the VNE. Thanks AJ

Last edited:
rv969wf said:
I've never entered an air race but might someday and would be interested to know what altitudes most of the pilots flew in this race, what kind of manifold pressures, RPM's and actual TRUE airspeeds. I did some testing today on my -6 [snip] Four way average of 221.25 mph. [snip] it's getting faster with everything I do. One thing that bothers me is flutter, what are the fast RV's doing about not getting into a flutter problem because I'm pushing the VNE. Thanks AJ
First, embarassment should be the furthest thing from your mind. It is just a lot of fun, no matter what place you finish in. On the contrary, it is fun to enter before you do many mods, and then see the improvement later.

Second, 221 under those conditions sounds pretty fast. We had a tough day during the Rocket race, with winds from the North at 25 kts or so, it was quite bumpy, and the direction made it a cross wind for most of the race. I think on a calm day the speeds would have been faster.

Typically, the racers run at 500 agl to keep the regs happy except when they think they have a tailwind, then higher of course. We had a barometric setting of 30.37, so add 600 msl for the area, and running at 500 agl means 1100 msl, subtract 1.1 " map for the altitude, then add it back for ram air induction, we were running around 30.4" wide open, redline rpm, for 30 minutes. During that time, the wind blew us 12 miles south. It was chilly at about 50 degrees F, so there wouldn't be that much difference between true airspeeds and average speed over the course, except that we flew the extra distance.

The RVs have all been flown a lot faster that this under various conditions, Dave Anders for sure at 225 or so kts, Tracy Saylor turned 206 kts in his RV6 in the last Sun n Fun race (at sea level on another bumpy day), and Rich Jankowski the same day at 204 in his RV6. Danny King says he saw something over 250 kts after he blew a loop in his RV8. So, as long things don't get too rough I don't worry about my Vne too much.

I know from your postings you are a kindred soul...you like to mess with your airplane, and try to get it to go faster. Racing is one of the rewards of all the work we put in. The other reward we get is flying along with other RVs on a trip, and using less gas :D. Have fun, and come race with us!!

Thanks John

Thanks John for the feedback and input. One of these days I'll get my bird in a race and see what she will do with the rest of them. Thankyou very much for the info. AJ

Speed gain with Higher MAP

Testing today I got these GPS ground numbers: N-248mph, S-195, E-222, W-220. Four way average of 221.25 mph. This was at 4,250ft. turning 2,680rpm x 27.5" MAP wide open. Indicating 206-208 mph and the ambient temp was 66F degrees. AJ

John H or anyone, can you tell me what kind of speed my -6 might do at lower elevation say 1,000 ft above see level where I can see manifold pressures in the 30" + range. I am seeing 1" + of ram induction for the servo. I can't do any testing down low where I live and was curious what another 3-4" + MAP would do. As noted above I'm at 221mph at 4,250ft with 27.5" MAP with 66Fdegree outside air and pushing 17.8 gph thru the engine. Thanks AJ

rv969wf said:
John H or anyone, can you tell me what kind of speed my -6 might do at lower elevation say 1,000 ft above see level where I can see manifold pressures in the 30" + range. I am seeing 1" + of ram induction for the servo. I can't do any testing down low where I live and was curious what another 3-4" + MAP would do. As noted above I'm at 221mph at 4,250ft with 27.5" MAP with 66Fdegree outside air and pushing 17.8 gph thru the engine. Thanks AJ
It is typical with normally aspirated engines to see wide open throttle true airspeed increase as you go down. This is the reason we are threatened so severely before every race about the minimum altitude requirements.

I would guess you will see +2 or 3 kts if you go down 3000 ft. and keep roughly standard conditions.

Man if there was ever a question about "A" speed

"A"s just have to work harder. I read the writeup for the Rocket 100 and of course the AirVenture Cup and it is just too consistent that the non-"A"s are markedly faster than "A"s. This January I plan on continuing the lower/forward baffle that I now have truncated at the nose gear strut support structure down to the lower lip of the cowl outlet and shroud the nosegear support structure and maybe the carburetor in a "streamlined" shape. That should help the flow and reduce the outlet area. If the CHTs are still OK I will then work on air inlet size reduction. Just like Avis, if you want to win with an "A" you have to try harder. I have to admit it is fun to do. If all goes well, I'll see you guys next year at Dayton.

Bob Axsom